Re: Firewalls and MSG-1

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., Lawrence <lawrence@a...> wrote:
In order to use MSG DM across a home network, I have had to
disable the XP Pro firewall. When it is enabled, the other
computers on the network cannot see the main (processing) computer.
Does anyone know whether the MS firewall can be taught that the
internal network is OK? I have not found any reference to this in
MS help files.

TIA

Lawrence Harris
I've seen no problems with this. I run a router, which could
provide DHCP addresses, although I have actually made the PCs have
static addresses. All the PCs run Zone Alarm, and the only setting
required is to say "trust the local network", which it sets by
default in any case. Each PC has the appropriate entry in &#92;system32
&#92;drivers&#92;etc&#92;hosts to enable it to find the other PCs. I run a
workgroup, and not a domain.

You should be aware that the XP Firewall only works to block
incoming requests, if a virus gets on your system it can do what it
wants. IMHO, it's better to use Zone Alarm which allows you to
specifically control which programs have access to the local network
and which have access to the Internet. On my Receiver PC I have
allowed access for Setup4PC, Server4PC and TQrecv. There was no
need to enable special access for the MSG Data Manager on the
Processing PC.