Re: Meteosat-5 IODC errors

Robert Moore

David, my Meteosat-5 images are pretty messed up too (sorry for the technical
jargon)

Robert

Quoting David Taylor <david-taylor@...>:

Folks,

I am seeing three lots of errors on Meteosat-5 (Indian Ocean)
segments. These have been reported informally to Eumetsat but are
still outstanding. These problems are:

1 - Prolog sometimes coming after the first data segment. The
prolog carries the thermal calibration information.

2 - Last segment arrives before other segments, causing a temporary
save of an incomplete image.

3 - Visible channel segments 2 or 3 are sometimes missing, for
example from yesterday's report:

Missing segments report, 2003 Dec 13
Cycle: 0300 met5-vis seg 2
Cycle: 1200 met5-vis seg 3
Cycle: 1500 met5-vis seg 2 3

As long as the calibration is stable, (1) is not a problem.
(2) is an incovenience as it can take up to three hours for the MSG
Data Manager to recover from the problem and save the complete image
(when the next scan arrives). (3) is a new problem that I have only
noticed in the last couple of days. I am seeing it on two PCs, so I
am guessing that it is systematic rather than chance, but it would
be useful to have confirmation from other people as well.

Professor Robert Moore
Department of Sociology, Social Policy
and Social Work Studies
The University of Liverpool