Re: EUMETCast - the future?

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 23-11-03 12:31:55 GMT Standard Time,
david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

John,

Thanks for sharing that. I hope that the US takes notice of this
development, so that they too can look forward to the benefits
of "Satellite TV"-style distribution.

Some years ago (and I must go and look it up) a CGMS report suggested/stated
that
the future of meteorological satellite data distribution/dissemination would
be via
commercial satellites rather than direct-readout.

I was told by NOAA that they probably would not go this route.

When EUMETSAT and NOAA agreed on a joint polar orbiting system project -
Europe the mooring satellite, USA the afternoon satellite - and a sharing of
sensors,
etc. (many years ago) it was thought that a compatibility for a standard
world format
would come out of it.
I understood this to be LRPT [Low Rate Picture Transmission] and AHRPT
[Advanced High Rate Picture Transmission (similar to HRPT)] with the 137 MHz
and 1.69 GHz bands being used for the downlinks.

Well - what have we got?

MetOp using 137.9125 MHz and 137.10 MHz for LRPT and the 1.69 GHz band for
AHRPT.

NPOESS using the 1.69 GHz band for LRD [Low Rate Data] and the 8 GHz band
for HRD [High Rate Data (at an enormous data rate)].

So much for computability!

However, things look a little more promising on the geostationary front.
Most (if not all) satellites (soon) will use LRIT as the standard replacement
for WEFAX
and most will eventually, it seems, use HRIT for the high resolution
services.

Now, the failure of MSG-1's SSPA's and EUMSAT's use of EUMETCast to overcome
this, has demonstrated the possibility, flexibility and expandability and I
believe
robustness of the DVB format for use as a meteorological data distribution
system.
And, using cheap, 'domestic' quality components - with simple installation.

Will EUMETCast DVB become a world meteorological data dissemination format?

One 'problem' is that it relies on a third party carrier - which costs money.

Regards,
John Tellick.