Re: illumination

johnrigsec@...

In a message dated 20-11-03 16:10:38 GMT Standard Time,
rsmoore@... writes:

Yes I was thinking how I can see as easily at summer noon and after dark in
winter with a full moon. The latter level of illumination is a minute
fraction
of the former - yet no MSG vis imagery by moonlight!
Robert,

No, MSG will never image by moonlight but at last years EUMETSAT conference
there were serious suggestions about doing just that in the next generation
of
geostationary satellites.

Trouble is that imaging via moonlight requires an enormous aperture
radiometer -
which in turn requires an enormous satellite.

Regards,
John Tellick.
RIG.