From: Robert Moore <rsmoore@liverpool.ac.uk>
To: MSG-1@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:32:18 +0000
Subject: [MSG-1] illumination

The differences between the sensitivity of the human eye and onboard
satellite instruments is quite striking with MSG-1 at the moment.
Current visual imagery of Europe obviously shows low levels of
illumination - and indeed darkness north of ... whatever the current
latitude is. Yet here in N. Wales, even under quite heavy cloud,
everything is bright
(if not particularly cheerful). Our eyes seem much better at
responding to lower levels of light than the instruments. On the
other hand, we aren't very good at seeing things by infrared! If I
haven't got this all wrong then a question follows: Are there any ways
in which we might use our software to squeeze a little bit more out
from the visible wavelengths at the darkest parts of the year? I'm
not at all clear about this. I appreciate, of course, that one can't
enhance something that is not there. David (T) and others, do you have
any thoughts on this, or am I wasting everyone's time with the
question? Robert

Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor