illumination

Robert Moore

The differences between the sensitivity of the human eye and onboard
satellite instruments is quite striking with MSG-1 at the moment. Current
visual imagery of Europe obviously shows low levels of illumination - and
indeed darkness north of ... whatever the current latitude is.
Yet here in N. Wales, even under quite heavy cloud, everything is bright
(if not particularly cheerful). Our eyes seem much better at responding to
lower levels of light than the instruments. On the other hand, we aren't very
good at seeing things by infrared!
If I haven't got this all wrong then a question follows: Are there any ways
in which we might use our software to squeeze a little bit more out from
the visible wavelengths at the darkest parts of the year? I'm not at all clear
about this. I appreciate, of course, that one can't enhance something that is
not there. David (T) and others, do you have any thoughts on this, or am I
wasting everyone's time with the question?
Robert

Robert Moore

tel and fax: 44 (0) 1352 714456