From: "David Taylor" <david-taylor@...>
To: <MSG-1@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 5:59 PM
Subject: [MSG-1] Re: Reports from a least affected user

I don't suppose it would help but has anyone affected by the
problems (Windows XP) tried adding to the boot file, the very last
line, /pcilock - according to Microsoft knowledge base this can
help with PCI IRQ conflicts.

[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)&#92;WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)&#92;WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /pcilock
^^^^^^^^
Didn't know about that one, James. As I read it though, this means
that you have to sort out the IRQs yourself first, and then Windows
doesn't touch the result.

Talking of interrupts - the 188 byte packets come down at a 27.5MS/s
rate. What is the resulting bit rate? 100Mb/s? One bit every
10ns? So a 188 byte packet lasts 2us? There's no way a PC could
handle 500K interrupts a second! So what is the packet size and
interrupt rate? How many packets fit into the on-card buffer?