From: a_van_belle
To: MSG-1@...
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:14 AM
Subject: [MSG-1] Re: New Skystar USB Plus Box (USB2) - Any
Experiences?

Hello Bernd,

I have been testing a Technotrend Connect S2400 USB2.0 box for
months
now. This one is identical to the Skystar USB Plus. The drivers
are
developed by Technotrend, even on the Skystar version !
But Technisat is way behind with driver updates, their latest is
BDA
1072. This driver does not install properly and warns at every
reboot
that my USB port is not 2.0 compatible (it really is !)
Only the latest BDA1075 driver from Technotrend solves these
problems.
Unfortunately you cannot interchange the drivers between
Technotrend
and Technisat because of different hardware ID.

To make a long story short, after 4 driver updates it does handle
the
full EUMETCast data stream now. Even the high volume MetOp AVHRR
and IASI
But compared to the Technisat Skystar2 PCI I notice higher CPU
usage
(must be the extra USB layer).

Drawbacks of the USB2.0 box
- Driver works only on windows XP SP2, you have to install the
complete package including TV viewer to get the data service
application.
- You have to enter all transponder parameters and PIDs once as
the
EUMETCast service is not pre-configured.
- Tools like SkyDSL_status, bs2status, b2settuner don't work on
these
receivers. So no signal quality statistics with MRTG.
- Signal quality readout is always 100%, Signal level reads as
88%, no
Signal to Noise or BER readout.

The good thing is that I have never seen it loose lock after
transponder glitches or rain fades so you don't need "retuning"
after
signal loss.

Greetings,
Arne van Belle

--- In MSG-1@..., "berni_b_53" <berni-53@> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using a Skystar USB 1.1 Box for Eumetcast reception.
`thinking
> about a change to the new USB 2 Box after having Problems with
the
> simultaneous reception of MSG and Metop Data. Presumably due to
the
> limitations of the USB 1.1 Standart. Has anybody any
experiences with