Re: Latest e-mail from ops

David J Taylor GM8ARV 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇪🇺

--- In MSG-1@..., James Brown <satellite@m...> wrote:
Interesting stuff from OPS. A new format for you to wrestle with
David for the IODC (MET 5) relay! And hopefully we are going to
find the UK Met office willing to supply us with a licence for the
dongles.

James,

This announcement puzzles me. I am in touch with Eumetsat and have
just received a data sample of Meteosat 5 data prepared for MSG-1
from July (unfortunately just a single segment). This is in
segmented image format, just like all the other satellite data, and
could easily be added to the program.

However, the OPEN_MTP format is not compressed, or segemented, and
the data files are huge. Even with BZ2 compression (as used on the
FTP services) a single visible-channel file occupies over 8MB (for
the 5000 x 5000 image). So receiving these files will be more
difficult, and require that the OPEN-MTP file be stored on disk
(probably being built up from chunks of files), and then read back
in, be calibrated, and converted to an image.

I hope that Eumetsat reconsider this format, and allow Meteosat 5
data to be sent in the segmented image format used for all other
satellites.