Topics

TX frequency may not be correct --- need advice

McClain Richard

I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Paul Caccamo

Dick; there is an AFC button on the MMTTY control panel - ensure it is off, and return the frequency to 2125. I'm not sure if N1MM+ changes the setting depending on Run/S+P, but that is what I usually use in Writelog. I'd be playing today except my new computer is suffering with RFI on the rig control serial interface. It wasn't pretty last night. :-)

73 Paul, VA3PC

On 08/02/20 09:02, McClain Richard wrote:
I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Rick Kunath

Just curious if you are using AFSK or FSK on the rig? Not sure if the K3 has that.

The last time that happened to me my RX tones weren’t set to arch the FSK tones used in the rig. So when I zero beated using the scope to tune,I was actually off. On AFSK ifthe RX andTX tones are set the same you should be right on.

Rick K9AO

On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:02 AM, McClain Richard <dickmcclain@...> wrote:

I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Jamie WW3S

How are you keying, AFSK or fsk ? What logging software?

On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:03 AM, McClain Richard <dickmcclain@...> wrote:

I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Fred Dennin

Dick,

If you are in search and pounce mode, check to make sure AFC is off.

Good luck,

Fred, WW4LL

Fred Dennin
President
Fred Dennin & Associates, LLC
404-557-9769

On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:05 AM, McClain Richard <dickmcclain@...> wrote:

I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

DON GAIKINS

I think that you may have AFC turned on.  If you are doing S&P turn AFC OFF!

Don W0VM

On 2/8/2020 8:02 AM, McClain Richard wrote:
I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

Dany VE2EBK

Dick

Check in DI Setup Menu if Turn Auto TRXUpdate On option is turned off.

GL

Dany VE2EBK

McClain Richard

Where do I find the DI menu?
I found something N1MM Config, but it has no selection for AutoTRXUpdate.

On Feb 8, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Dany VE2EBK via Groups.Io <ve2ebk@...> wrote:

Dick

Check in DI Setup Menu if Turn Auto TRXUpdate On option is turned off.

GL

Dany VE2EBK

McClain Richard

Thanks for all the replies to my tuning issue. Several suggested turning off AGC.

I *know* that I turned it off when setting up. In fact, I wrote instructions that included that. Well, duh, I found that it was active. Performance has been much better since then. I don’t know when or how I turned on AGC.

73,
Dick, KD4S

On Feb 8, 2020, at 9:02 AM, McClain Richard via Groups.Io <dickmcclain@...> wrote:

I am struggling to make contacts in the CQ WPX. Everything "works" and I have made 30 QSOs. But many times I reply to a strong signal CQ, then then the other station keeps calling CQ. One time, someone said "zero beat my signal". I assume that was directed to me. I don't know what can cause my TX and RX to not agree. Yet, sometimes a QSO goes as expected on my first call. So, I can't be far from correct.

I am using N1MM+ and MMTTY with my K3-S transceiver. I am sure that RIT and XIT are turned off and I am not in SPLIT mode.

Is there some setting in MMTTY that needs to be changed?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Dick, KD4S

David Fuseler

A friend had a similar problem last night.  No one would answer him.  We spent an hour checking settings, cables, etc.  We finally called it a night, he went to take a shower, went back, sat down in front of the radio, and saw that the RIT had been pushed on.  The push knob was right next to the main tuning dial.
Not gonna tell you about things I have done.

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation

On Feb 9, 2020, at 8:25 AM, McClain Richard <dickmcclain@...> wrote:

[...]

WW2BSA <Ww2bsa@...>

After reading this thread, I had to post: I accidentally plugged the cable that goes from the radio to Port 1 on my PK-900 into the SCOPE port! Every time it beaconed on 145.010 it was causing a local 2 meter repeater to key up on the input. A clever ham tracked down the source. Being a member of the club, all was forgiven, but my tail was between my legs! :-)

Chris
WW2BSA

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device