Topics

screen thoughts

larry fields

Saw this stations setup on the screen, makes me think of doing the same, but might look some what crowded. Any comments.

W3fiz Yahoo

I run pretty much the same as posted. Except I have a second monitor so it doesn’t look that busy.
                 Pat/W3FiZ

On Feb 13, 2020, at 10:09 AM, larry fields <n6hpx1@...> wrote:

Saw this stations setup on the screen, makes me think of doing the same, but might look some what crowded. Any comments.
<85135303_10218012789526321_1213505587434749952_o.jpg>

Frank Brown

Although it may look crowded, the payoff is being able to log in more multipliers by seeing more info on the screen.

Rick Ellison

Back a few years ago I was getting headaches after running a RTTY contest for a few hours. I went and had my eyes checked but they were ok so I explained to the Dr what I was doing when I would start getting the headaches. And he explained to me that you want everything that you look at most of the time on your screen in a direct line to where your eyes line up if you are sitting in your chair. Both of my monitors sit about 12” from the surface of my desk and I came up with this and since then I don’t get the headaches I used to. I mainly use SO2V for all of the contest so this is the setup.

What you don’t see in this picture is underneath the Entry Window is the second Entry window. Underneath the Digital window is DI2 and underneath MMTTY is the second copy of MMTTY running. I have the windows set to bring them forward when activated so I switch windows with the CTRL- Right and Left arrows. On my second monitor I have the info window, Telnet and Spectrum windows but my main focus is the bottom of the window. This is one way to have additional windows without much clutter..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io [mailto:MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Brown
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 12:27 PM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] screen thoughts

Although it may look crowded, the payoff is being able to log in more multipliers by seeing more info on the screen.

larry fields

I been looking into doing this with my setup and might have to set one of my laptops to do this. I had a 2nd one sent to the shop for repairs, unfortunately my nephew never went back to get it or check on it. I been running the MMTTY on my system now and enjoy running the programs. Does have some hic-ups, but just have to figure it out. Like running the serial numbers 599-001 to599-050 as example where I end up putting the numbers in. I ran the n1mm+ for the first few contests and worked good. 
Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
Manila Philippines
I am on QRZ.COM  DX1PRS 7165 kHz 

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:55 PM Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

Back a few years ago I was getting headaches after running a RTTY contest for a few hours. I went and had my eyes checked but they were ok so I explained to the Dr what I was doing when I would start getting the headaches. And he explained to me that you want everything that you look at most of the time on your screen in a direct line to where your eyes line up if you are sitting in your chair. Both of my monitors sit about 12” from the surface of my desk and I came up with this and since then I don’t get the headaches I used to. I mainly use SO2V for all of the contest so this is the setup.

What you don’t see in this picture is underneath the Entry Window is the second Entry window. Underneath the Digital window is DI2 and underneath MMTTY is the second copy of MMTTY running. I have the windows set to bring them forward when activated so I switch windows with the CTRL- Right and Left arrows. On my second monitor I have the info window, Telnet and Spectrum windows but my main focus is the bottom of the window. This is one way to have additional windows without much clutter..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io [mailto:MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Brown
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 12:27 PM

Hank Riley

Rick,

Did you raise the screens for the relief?  That part is not spelled out in your the description.  I think I find it more comfortable to look down a little compared to looking up a little.  

To get the screen here really level with my eyes the elevation would have to change from about 9 inches to something like 14 inches (measured desk surface to monitor lower edge).

H

Both of my monitors sit about 12” from the surface of my desk and I came up with this and since then I don’t get the headaches I used to. 

larry fields

i use a 32-inch monitor and its mounted to the wall here. It sits about 24 inches off the desk and does good. My computer I am on now is a Lenovo Flex 4 Ideapad which is connected to an HDMI about 3 feet away. When I run it most of the program is on the 32 inches the other half is on the Flex4 unit. I am planning soon to rearrange a few things here like move the Computer closer to the monitor and just adjust my head when I need to see the program but that's only in my thoughts. I will take a picture of the setup now. 
Thanks and 73
Manila Philippines
I am on QRZ.COM  DX1PRS 7165 kHz 

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 1:57 AM Hank Riley via Groups.Io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Rick,

Did you raise the screens for the relief?  That part is not spelled out in your the description.  I think I find it more comfortable to look down a little compared to looking up a little.  

To get the screen here really level with my eyes the elevation would have to change from about 9 inches to something like 14 inches (measured desk surface to monitor lower edge).

H

Both of my monitors sit about 12” from the surface of my desk and I came up with this and since then I don’t get the headaches I used to. 

Hank Riley

But how high are your eyes above the desk?  Or, how far are your eyes above or below vertical center of the screen (32 inch one)?

On Friday, February 14, 2020, 09:53:38 PM EST, larry fields <n6hpx1@...> wrote:

i use a 32-inch monitor and its mounted to the wall here. It sits about 24 inches off the desk and does good. 

larry fields

I am back about 3  ft from the monitor and usually use the computer screen for most of my stuff

Thanks and 73
Manila PHILIPPINEs
I am on QRZ.COM  DX1PRS 7165 khz 

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 3:01 AM Hank Riley via Groups.Io <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
But how high are your eyes above the desk?  Or, how far are your eyes above or below vertical center of the screen (32 inch one)?

i use a 32-inch monitor and its mounted to the wall here. It sits about 24 inches off the desk and does good. 

larry fields

Sent from my Mi phone
"Hank Riley via Groups.Io" <n1ltv@...> wrote on Feb 15, 2020 11:01:

larry fields

my monitor setup

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020, 11:07 larry fields via Groups.Io <n6hpx1=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sent from my Mi phone
"Hank Riley via Groups.Io" <n1ltv=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote on Feb 15, 2020 11:01:

larry fields

this my setup.  my monitor is also my TV.

Rick Ellison

Hank

Yes I did. If I am looking down slightly the back of my neck seems to stiffen up and I need to flex it every now and then I have a high back desk chair and am most comfortable sitting straight up and down with my back against the chair so my eyes are looking straight ahead and level. I just measured my monitor’s which are a pair of 23’ one and from the desk surface to the bottom of the monitor screen is exactly 12 inches..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io [mailto:MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io] On Behalf Of Hank Riley via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2020 8:57 PM

Rick,

H

larry fields

I get the same problem on my neck and find my self pushing back a few times to stretch my neck and legs from the table. I also do the neck exercises. I spend my off time walking across the street to the garage and get some fresh air.
Thanks and 73
Manila PHILIPPINEs

David Fuseler

My setup. Of course the cat keeps me company and the Monster keeps me lubricated. The towel covers everything when not in use.  I would have preferred both monitors side by  side, But not enough forethought when I made the desk. 
Notice the Logitech gamepad on the left.  It’s programmed for the F keys relating to the N1MM macros.  And the tuning knob extension on the radio.  Nothing but a 1/4” socket swivel.  This was in QST a couple of years ago.  I can a actually lean back and work the contest.  As soon as I tune in a station with the right hand, I can hit the button to call.  No wasted effort or time.
Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation 

On Feb 15, 2020, at 1:27 AM, larry fields <n6hpx1@...> wrote:

I get the same problem on my neck and find my self pushing back a few times to stretch my neck and legs from the table. I also do the neck exercises. I spend my off time walking across the street to the garage and get some fresh air.
Thanks and 73
Manila PHILIPPINEs

Peter Krüger

That´s my Windowlayout - additional my own N1MM_Toolbox for some more info. Better colours for N1MM - as it pleased my eyes a little bit more.
Only SO1.

73 Peter DF1LX

df1lx.darc.de

Peter Krüger

Attach not correct ...

Jeff - K8ZAK

Larry,

I like the changes you and others on the forum have made to their screen layouts. Can  you tell me where I can find more information on how I might reconfigure my screen layouts?

Jeff