Topics

RTTY nets?

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

Thanks to all who responded to my question about using the ST-8000 with MMTTY.  There was a lot of good information exchanged.

On another topic, I have a cousin who is also a ham who asked if I knew of any RTTY nets on the air now.  He is not a contester and so would prefer to have more low-key and enjoyable ways to use RTTY.  I can only think of one and it is limited to using military-type gear and 850cps shift.

73

Kevin

W5TTY

John AC8JW

mabye time to start one?

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

It would be a nice idea.  I don't think about them much because I don't have much time for regularly scheduled things.  I rarely check into the local club's 2m net.

73

Kevin

On 10/6/2020 11:44 AM, John AC8JW wrote:
mabye time to start one?

Avast logo

Dave

I would like to learn how to use MMTTY so a net may be helpful eventually.

I need some help with the very basics to start with.

Dave KC3AM

--
Hams should be seen as well as heard, 73, Dave KC3AM

Don Hill AA5AU

There are no nets that I know of. There used to be one on 80 meters but I haven't seen it in a while.

Eddie, W6/G0AZT, and I used to hold an informal "boffins net" on 20 meters and people from all over the world would check in. It was informal and we used to "type" about RTTY contesting and DX.

You can always start your own net and have fun with it. Since the start of FT8 there hasn't been much conversational RTTY going on at all.

Don AA5AU

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020, 07:23:48 AM CDT, Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY <kh-phillips@...> wrote:

Thanks to all who responded to my question about using the ST-8000 with
MMTTY.  There was a lot of good information exchanged.

On another topic, I have a cousin who is also a ham who asked if I knew
of any RTTY nets on the air now.  He is not a contester and so would
prefer to have more low-key and enjoyable ways to use RTTY.  I can only
think of one and it is limited to using military-type gear and 850cps shift.

73

Kevin

W5TTY

Larry Boekeloo

The 3905 Century Club still has 3 RTTY nest.

I call CQ with RTTY many times on 14.084.  I've had a few qsos there in the past few weeks since I got my RigExpert back on the air.

Larry, KN8N

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 9:15 PM Don Hill AA5AU <aa5au@...> wrote:
[...]

What is the convention USB / LSB ???

I am trying MMTTY but not a whole lot of luck yet.

Dave KC3AM

On 10/07/2020 21:19, Larry Boekeloo wrote:
[...]

ve3ki

MMTTY assumes the rig is in LSB, regardless of the band.

Note that the logged and spotted frequency (the actual Mark frequency at RF) is not the same as the dial frequency. In LSB, you have to subtract the audio Mark offset from the dial frequency. For example, if the dial reads 14090.000 kHz and your Mark frequency is 2125 Hz, the actual Mark frequency is 14087.875 kHz (14090 - 2.125). Conversely, if a station is spotted on 14084 kHz and your rig is in LSB with an audio Mark frequency of 2125 Hz, you need to tune the rig to 14086.125 kHz in LSB.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 09:48 PM, Dave wrote:

[...]

Adrian Fewster

LSB

On 8/10/20 11:48 am, Dave via groups.io wrote:

What is the convention USB / LSB ???

I am trying MMTTY but not a whole lot of luck yet.

Dave KC3AM

GEORGE T. JACOB, JR

Try Saturday mornings on 14.085.00 i have used that frequency for years
It is so lately. Also check the ARRL contest calendar, always a good way to pickup a few extra Q's.

73

De

George N6VNI

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 7:48 PM Dave via groups.io <kc3am=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

USB

Larry, KN8N

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, Dave via groups.io <kc3am=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

No, it's LSB. USB needs REV with MMTTY

On 8/10/20 9:53 pm, Larry Boekeloo wrote:
USB

Larry, KN8N

Kai-KE4PT

Dave
You can use Upper SSB (on all bands, like every other digital mode on the planet) but in MMTTY make sure that "REV" for reverse is selected.
The Detailed explanation: the MARK tone must be the upper tone when viewed at RF on a spectrum analyzer.
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 10/7/2020 21:48, Dave via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Drew K9CW

When asked about FSK tones, Bill Henry K9GWT (SK), founder of HAL Communications, answered "LSMFT" - Low Space Means Fine Teletype.

73 de Drew K9CW

On 10/8/2020 8:06 AM, Kai-KE4PT wrote:
Dave
You can use Upper SSB (on all bands, like every other digital mode on the planet) but in MMTTY make sure that "REV" for reverse is selected.
The Detailed explanation: the MARK tone must be the upper tone when viewed at RF on a spectrum analyzer.
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT
* K9CW Thomasboro, IL EN50
* DXCC: 363/340 CW: 351/339 (need P5!)
*

Larry Boekeloo

If interested, RA3VGS on 14.085 at 13:22 utc

Just worked him

Larry, KN8N

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 9:07 AM Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:
[...]

Ralph Mowery

When using a ssb transceiver it does not matter which sideband is selected if using an audio only interface.

Due the the way ssb and audio tones work for rtty you select the sideband you want to use and then normal or reverse mode on the demodulator.

For normal ham rtty of 170 hz shift it does not even matter with in reason what audio tones are used as long as they are 170 hz apart.  Just your dial frequency will be different than others.  Just do not use tones much below 1500 or above 2200 hz.  Too low and the sideband suppression suffers and too high and the power output will suffer.

Normally you use lsb and 2125 for the mark tone and 2295 space tone  and normal for on the demodulator.

You can use usb and 2125 and 2295 space tone for the mark and reverse on the demodulator and there is no difference.

The only reason for 2125 for the mark tone is many of the older demodulators used fixed filters and either AM or FM audio is used mainly on the 2 meter and higher bands where they are legal modes.

There are some operating military style on the ham bands.  I am not sure what they are using,but think they use USB, normal on the demodulator and 850 hz shift.  If trying to use that mode, set the mmtty or other interface for the low tone option.  I don't recall the audio frequency to use, but again you could just use 1200 hz and 2050 for the audio tones.  Just your dial frequency will show different that the other stations.

Ralph ku4pt

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 09:06:56 AM EDT, Kai-KE4PT <k.siwiak@...> wrote:

Dave
You can use Upper SSB (on all bands, like every other digital mode on the planet) but in MMTTY make sure that "REV" for reverse is selected.
The Detailed explanation: the MARK tone must be the upper tone when viewed at RF on a spectrum analyzer.
Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

_,_

Ralph Mowery

I don't know who originated that, but it was probably years before HAL Communications was formed.

Ham rtty mainly started off in the low bands and on/of keying.  Then the FCC OKed using using frequency shift keying of 850 Hz.  So the easy way back then was to use a diode and small value capacitor on the VFO circuit of a transmitter.  That made the frequency shift down.  The demodulators were built to deal with that.

The SSB came along. People found that they could put the audio into the microphone input and the resulting transmitted signal would be just like the FSK as above  if the tones were pure sine wave.  As some were using audio tones on AM and FM  of 2125 mark frequency, it was determined that if the transceiver was set for LSB the same equipment could be used on the lower frequencies legally.  This was back in the days when most of the filters were using the 88 mh coils and were difficult to change frequencies of the filters.

With computers the software can change types with a keystroke,so they can be set up many ways and still work fine.

Ralph ku4pt.

On Thursday, October 8, 2020, 09:26:44 AM EDT, Drew K9CW <k9cw@...> wrote:

When asked about FSK tones, Bill Henry K9GWT (SK), founder of HAL
Communications, answered "LSMFT" - Low Space Means Fine Teletype.

73 de Drew K9CW

larry fields

Are there activity on vhf or uhf for rtty as for nets

Sent from my Mi phone
Oct 8, 2020 22:53 wrote on "Ralph Mowery via groups.io" <ku4pt@...>:

[...]

Mike Rhodes

Larry,
  By the nature of the beast (V/UHF), those nets, if they exist, would be very local in nature so you would most likely have to check with local sources about their existence.

Mike / W8DN

On 10/8/2020 11:07 AM, larry fields wrote:
[...]

Mike,

I understand that.  I just put it on the list if someone wanted to check it out.

Larry, KN8N