Topics

MMTTY with HAL ST-8000

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

I am wondering how to set up MMTTY to use with the HALF ST-8000 modem or if it can be done.  I am using FSK.  I have extfsk64 installed.  I am running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  I am going through a serial port/cable.  If I type something into the TX buffer and hit TX it keys the transmitter and transmits a couple of characters but then stops and there is just a carrier. And from what I gather from the manual, MMTTY will not receive decoded data from the modem over the serial connection.  Is that correct?  It can only receive through a soundcard connection.

Thanks,

73

Kevin Phillips

W5TTY

Larry Boekeloo

Hi Kevin,

I am also running Windows 7 and have tried to use FSK with my K3.  Same results.  I've tried EXTFSK and EXTFSK64 and I've changed serial port identifiers.  Nothing seems to work with Windows 7 and FSK.  The same setup worked great with Windows/XP.

I've gone to AFSK to make it work.

Larry, KN8N

On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 8:51 AM Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY <kh-phillips@...> wrote:
I am wondering how to set up MMTTY to use with the HALF ST-8000 modem or
if it can be done.  I am using FSK.  I have extfsk64 installed.  I am
running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  I am going through a serial
port/cable.  If I type something into the TX buffer and hit TX it keys
the transmitter and transmits a couple of characters but then stops and
there is just a carrier. And from what I gather from the manual, MMTTY
will not receive decoded data from the modem over the serial
connection.  Is that correct?  It can only receive through a soundcard
connection.

Thanks,

73

Kevin Phillips

W5TTY

Drew K9CW

The ST-8000 has the ability to convert the ASCII serial port data at one speed to 45 baud Baudot for the radio.  The REGEN feature is described in section 1.11 of the ST-8000 operator's manual.  Like other TNCs, the serial port data rate and the radio audio data rate do not need to be the same.  Using the ST-8000 to convert ASCII to and from Baudot should allow you to use N1MM+ without MMTTY.

73 de Drew K9CW

On 10/5/2020 7:25 AM, Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY wrote:
I am wondering how to set up MMTTY to use with the HALF ST-8000 modem or if it can be done.  I am using FSK.  I have extfsk64 installed.  I am running on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  I am going through a serial port/cable.  If I type something into the TX buffer and hit TX it keys the transmitter and transmits a couple of characters but then stops and there is just a carrier. And from what I gather from the manual, MMTTY will not receive decoded data from the modem over the serial connection.  Is that correct?  It can only receive through a soundcard connection.

Thanks,

73

Kevin Phillips

W5TTY

* K9CW Thomasboro, IL EN50
* DXCC: 363/340 CW: 351/339 (need P5!)
*

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

Hi, Larry

That's interesting.  I have an XP laptop.  I might give that a try.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 8:03 AM, Larry Boekeloo wrote:
[...]

Avast logo

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

Drew,

That's an interesting idea.  I have read elsewhere that the 8000's REGEN feature is pretty powerful.  The N1MM guide says it does not support the 8000 (directly) but this might be a workaround

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 8:59 AM, Drew K9CW wrote:
[...]

Dave Wade

Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.

Dave

[...]

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
[...]

Paul Bigwood

Um.. is this something to do with the Windows serial port driver setting.

I've something in my mind about serial port buffering? some UARTS have a 2 character buffer, so after the 2nd character is received,  it sends XOFF or negates CTS to stop the characters coming down the line, and after the 1st character is being sent, the character in the buffer is moved to the send buffer, which is cleared ready for the next character and the XON is sent or CTC is asserted to tell the PC to send the next character?

Paul G3WYW

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two
characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be
that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
> Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
> I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.
>
> Dave

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

In that case, what would be the solution? (or, is there one?)  I tried changing the port's flow control and also the speed of the transmit buffer but it did not help.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 12:23 PM, Paul Bigwood wrote:
Um.. is this something to do with the Windows serial port driver setting.

I've something in my mind about serial port buffering? some UARTS have a 2 character buffer, so after the 2nd character is received,  it sends XOFF or negates CTS to stop the characters coming down the line, and after the 1st character is being sent, the character in the buffer is moved to the send buffer, which is cleared ready for the next character and the XON is sent or CTC is asserted to tell the PC to send the next character?

Paul G3WYW

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two
characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be
that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
> Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
> I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.
>
> Dave

Avast logo

Paul Bigwood

Hi Kevin,

I’d check the flow control on the HAL and the PC.

Actually thinking about this a bit more, Its most likely a serial port flow control problem.

I’m not sure what speed your serial port ASCII connection to the HAL is, but if its say 9600 baud, a single bit takes 1/9600s  = 104nSec for each bit. Standard ASCII has 10bits ( 1 Start, 8 data bits and 1  Stop bit), so it takes 10 x 104n Sec ( 1.04uSec) for the PC to send the character to the HAL.

RTTY is sent at 45.45 baud, so 1 bit is 22mSec ( 1/45.45 sec) and a RTTY character is usually 7.5 or 8 bits ( 1 Start, 5 data bits and 1.5 or 2 Stop bits). If we use 8 bits to make the maths easier, you can see that it takes 8*22ms (176mSec) to send one RTTY Character.

So the ASCII character sent to the HAL takes 1.04uSec to be sent, but the corresponding RTTY signal takes 176mSec to be sent ( nearly 169 times slower, so clearly some flow control is required.

Hardware flow control is easiest to implement, but it needs to be enabled at both ends of the link. RTS and CTS are the signals used.

You will need to be sure it is enabled at the HAL and PC end ( and of course have the two additional wires ( RTS and CTS) in the cable connecting the two units together if you have made you own cable.

The Serial port settings on the PC will have a setting for enabling Flow Control using Hardware ( RTS/CTS) or Software ( XON/XOFF). You will need to select hardware flow control.

Hope this helps.

73 Paull G3WYW

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two
characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be
that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
> Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
> I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.
>
> Dave

Avast logo

Drew K9CW

The ST-8000 controls serial port CTS output based on the number of buffered TX characters waiting for transmission.  The TX buffer is only 256-bytes long.  CTS turns OFF at a fill level of 192 bytes and turns back ON at 8 characters.

I do not think that ST-8000 flow control is what stops transmissions after 2 characters.

Kevin - what firmware version is installed in your ST-8000?  It is displayed in the [Baud Rate] window when you turn the power on.  The last firmware release was V2.0 on 3/15/1991.

Drew

On 10/5/2020 12:59 PM, Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY wrote:

In that case, what would be the solution? (or, is there one?)  I tried changing the port's flow control and also the speed of the transmit buffer but it did not help.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 12:23 PM, Paul Bigwood wrote:
Um.. is this something to do with the Windows serial port driver setting.

I've something in my mind about serial port buffering? some UARTS have a 2 character buffer, so after the 2nd character is received,  it sends XOFF or negates CTS to stop the characters coming down the line, and after the 1st character is being sent, the character in the buffer is moved to the send buffer, which is cleared ready for the next character and the XON is sent or CTC is asserted to tell the PC to send the next character?

Paul G3WYW

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two
characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be
that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
> Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
> I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.
>
> Dave

Avast logo

* K9CW Thomasboro, IL  EN50
* DXCC: 363/340  CW: 351/339 (need P5!)
*

Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY

Drew,

My 8000 has v2.0 installed.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 2:19 PM, Drew K9CW wrote:
The ST-8000 controls serial port CTS output based on the number of buffered TX characters waiting for transmission.  The TX buffer is only 256-bytes long.  CTS turns OFF at a fill level of 192 bytes and turns back ON at 8 characters.

I do not think that ST-8000 flow control is what stops transmissions after 2 characters.

Kevin - what firmware version is installed in your ST-8000?  It is displayed in the [Baud Rate] window when you turn the power on.  The last firmware release was V2.0 on 3/15/1991.

Drew

On 10/5/2020 12:59 PM, Kevin H. Phillips - W5TTY wrote:

In that case, what would be the solution? (or, is there one?)  I tried changing the port's flow control and also the speed of the transmit buffer but it did not help.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 12:23 PM, Paul Bigwood wrote:
Um.. is this something to do with the Windows serial port driver setting.

I've something in my mind about serial port buffering? some UARTS have a 2 character buffer, so after the 2nd character is received,  it sends XOFF or negates CTS to stop the characters coming down the line, and after the 1st character is being sent, the character in the buffer is moved to the send buffer, which is cleared ready for the next character and the XON is sent or CTC is asserted to tell the PC to send the next character?

Paul G3WYW

I tried this but it did not work:  still transmitting only two
characters.  I will check the internal jumpers of the 8000.  It could be
that there is something there that would make a difference.

73

Kevin

On 10/5/2020 11:07 AM, Dave Wade wrote:
> Is extfsk64 In the right place? Is MMTTY in "program files"?
> I would install MMTTY in "c:\mmtty" and see of that helps.
>
> Dave

ve3ki

The HAL is a hardware modem. MMTTY is a software modem. MMTTY does the same job as a hardware modem (or a TU or TNC), but it does it in software. MMTTY does not *use* a modem or TU like the HAL; MMTTY *is* a modem. MMTTY does have an added user interface, but there is no provision in MMTTY to connect that user interface to any other modem other than MMTTY's own built-in software modem.

What you need is a program that is capable of using a hardware terminal unit or TNC. There are many such programs, but MMTTY is not one of them.

Looking at this another way: On transmit, the HAL is looking for ASCII text on its serial port that it can convert to an FSK on/off keying signal. MMTTY's output to its serial port is not ASCII text, it is an FSK on/off keying signal. The HAL, looking for ASCII text, is unable to make any sense of MMTTY's FSK keying output. On receive, the HAL is expecting to send its decoded output as ASCII text over a serial port. MMTTY has no serial port input at all; it needs audio directly from the radio (the same audio that the HAL uses as its input).

73,
Rich VE3KI

Avast logo