Topics

MMTTY and TS590SG

Jack Olivieri

Hi - I have been trying to get MMTTY to work with my TS590SG. The audio (via USB Codec) seems to be getting to MMTTY. But all I get is random garbage. I have tried a bunch of things but nothing seems to work.

In the spectrum scope I seem to only get 1 peak. even though I can hear the RTTY signal. Signal level is in the green and I choose the HAM button.

Listening to signals on the 60M band. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Jack (WA1FEF)

Kenneth Williams

Hi Jack

I have not been on the air with RTTY but I have been listening and receiving with my TS-570S with half of a RTTY interface (rx side only) while I wait for my interface board to arrive. 

I will start with a request and then some experience of my own.
The request: Please describe the connections to your radio a little more.  Are you getting the audio from the ACC2 connector or the speaker jack or something else.

The comment: Is your computer, and MMTTY actually configured to take the audio from the USB Codec?  When I first starting setting things up for myself, I saw that I was getting very poor audio.  After poking around a bit, I found that MMTTY was configured to take the audio from my headset and not from my audio card.  Once I fixed that, all was OK with the RX.  OK, I just admitted my mistake in public.  

Getting RX in and getting MMTTY to decode should be easy so maybe the problem is a configuration problem analogous to the problem I first had.

Good Luck

Ken Williams
KC6PUQ

Erv Heimbuck

The 60 meter band is a shared band and most of the rtty you hear there is probably commercial which frequently is encrypted and may be running a different shift than the 170 that hams use.

Try listening on 20 meters around 14085 especially during a contest.

Erv

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2020 6:01 PM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Subject: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] MMTTY and TS590SG

Hi - I have been trying to get MMTTY to work with my TS590SG. The audio (via USB Codec) seems to be getting to MMTTY. But all I get is random garbage. I have tried a bunch of things but nothing seems to work.

In the spectrum scope I seem to only get 1 peak. even though I can hear the RTTY signal. Signal level is in the green and I choose the HAM button.

thanks,
Jack (WA1FEF)

Tony Chamberlain

As Erv suggests you’re likely picking up commercial RTTY - different speed, shift or encrypted.

Make sure you’re on a Ham frequency.

Have a listen on 20m during the upcoming HQP contests etc.

G0AKC

On 1 May 2020, at 03:03, Erv Heimbuck <erv@...> wrote:

The 60 meter band is a shared band and most of the rtty you hear there is probably commercial which frequently is encrypted and may be running a different shift than the 170 that hams use.

Erv

thanks,
Jack (WA1FEF)

Jack Olivieri

Thanks for the response...Here I  is some more details:

1. I have installed a USB codec (virtual COM4) to get audio through the TS-590 USB connector on the TS-590SG
2. The system works fine for FT8, FT4 and SDR-UNO
3. Recently, I installed OMNI Rig so that SDR and WSJT would play together. Everything works fine.
4. At this point I am just trying to receive RTTY,; I switch the 590 to FSK mode and it makes no difference,
5, Additional question, How do I tell if I am receiving AFSK vs FSK on MMTTY?

I will check for RTTY signals on 20M

thanks,
Jack

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:00 PM Kenneth Williams <ken.williams@...> wrote:
Hi Jack

I have not been on the air with RTTY but I have been listening and receiving with my TS-570S with half of a RTTY interface (rx side only) while I wait for my interface board to arrive. 

I will start with a request and then some experience of my own.
The request: Please describe the connections to your radio a little more.  Are you getting the audio from the ACC2 connector or the speaker jack or something else.

The comment: Is your computer, and MMTTY actually configured to take the audio from the USB Codec?  When I first starting setting things up for myself, I saw that I was getting very poor audio.  After poking around a bit, I found that MMTTY was configured to take the audio from my headset and not from my audio card.  Once I fixed that, all was OK with the RX.  OK, I just admitted my mistake in public.  

Getting RX in and getting MMTTY to decode should be easy so maybe the problem is a configuration problem analogous to the problem I first had.

Good Luck

Ken Williams
KC6PUQ

Duncan Brown

On 01-May-20 09:28, Jack Olivieri wrote:

5, Additional question, How do I tell if I am receiving AFSK vs FSK on MMTTY?

Jack,

Once a SSB transmitter has been modulated, you can't tell the difference between FSK & AFSK.

On receive, MMTTY uses your receiver audio, so it is receiving AFSK (Audio Frequency Shift Keying).

If MMTTY is sending a DC signal to your transmitter, you are transmitting true FSK.  If MMTTY is sending audio tones (AFSK) to your SSB transmitter, you are transmitting AFSK. But in a properly operating (good carrier & unwanted sideband suppression) SSB transmitter, the two audio tones get converted to two RF frequencies and it is identical to true FSK.  Depending on the transmitter, the actual tone frequencies may be different between FSK & AFSK generated frequencies, but the receive station won't know the difference (especially in a contest).

Have fun,

Duncan
K2OEQ

W4LDE

Jack,
I do not think your hearing any Ham RTTY signals on one of the five allocated frequencies but you are hearing FT8. It has become crowded over the past few months. RTTY typical is used only during contest operations. You may find a rare CQ on 20 or 40. There are many other modes that provide better conversation modes.
Look at FLDigi or many others which also provides RTTY. I’m not knocking MMTTY since I used it for several years and it’s a excellent software.

To all: the 60 meter allocation is a shared freq’ with Restrictions. Any transmission using AFSK or FSK is restricted to the center of the typical USB signal of 300 to 2800hz. So far I’m hearing more and more signals from 500 to 2200hz. Let’s not abused this temporary privilege but give the FCC reason to award more frequencies and be permanent.

Have fun and enjoy digital modes. Sorry I can’t help you more with the 590 setup but I’ll ask a few friends if their using their 590 on RTTY and if so how and then relay to you.

73 and stay safe, de Ron W4LDE (RYRYRYRYRY for us old timers of RTTY)

On Apr 30, 2020, at 10:01 PM, Erv Heimbuck <erv@...> wrote:

Erv

thanks,
Jack (WA1FEF)

Kenneth Williams

Jack

All of those who replied telling you that you were probably not actually listening to RTTY are almost certainly correct, especially with what you have described regarding your setup and success with FT8.  Looking at the WA7BNM contest calendar, https://www.contestcalendar.com/index.html, I see a RTTY contest coming up soon (RTTYOPS Weekend Sprint), you should hear plenty of RTTY then, especially on 20 and 40.

Regarding your setup, the difference between FSK and LSB would be:
1) In FSK mode, you are sending with a key/switch; In AFSK, you are sending an audio signal at MARK Hz and (MARK + 170) Hz  (MARK - 170 for USB)
2) In FSK mode, your receiver is likely switching the receive though a different set of filters, most likely setting the receive bandwidth to a smaller value.  This will be configurable on your rig.
3) In FSK mode, the number you see on you dial will be the frequency at which the MARK is sent.  In LSB mode, the MARK will be sent at 2125 Hz lower than the frequency set on your dial (2125 Hz higher if you are operating USB)

Regards

Ken
KC6PUQ

KEN

Ken,.
3830Scores I see the RTTYops Weeksprint but I do not see RTTYops WeekEnd Sprint.  Does anyone know if WeekEnd Sprint can be entered at 3830Scores.

Ken    
WN8Y

n Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:06 PM Kenneth Williams <ken.williams@...> wrote:

Jack

All of those who replied telling you that you were probably not actually listening to RTTY are almost certainly correct, especially with what you have described regarding your setup and success with FT8.  Looking at the WA7BNM contest calendar, https://www.contestcalendar.com/index.html, I see a RTTY contest coming up soon (RTTYOPS Weekend Sprint), you should hear plenty of RTTY then, especially on 20 and 40.

Regarding your setup, the difference between FSK and LSB would be:
1) In FSK mode, you are sending with a key/switch; In AFSK, you are sending an audio signal at MARK Hz and (MARK + 170) Hz  (MARK - 170 for USB)
2) In FSK mode, your receiver is likely switching the receive though a different set of filters, most likely setting the receive bandwidth to a smaller value.  This will be configurable on your rig.
3) In FSK mode, the number you see on you dial will be the frequency at which the MARK is sent.  In LSB mode, the MARK will be sent at 2125 Hz lower than the frequency set on your dial (2125 Hz higher if you are operating USB)

Regards

Ken
KC6PUQ

Kenneth Williams

Ken (WN8Y)

I don't know the answer to your question but I just wanted to reply so that you were not left hanging.  Maybe someone else can help.  I am not a contester but I use that WA7BNM calendar so I know when there will be a lot of activity and I will be able to test the receive side of my station.

Regards

Ken
KC6PUQ

KEN

Ken,KC6PUQ,

Found the answer to 3830 Scores:

3830 Scores

submit log within 7 days to email (until we get logrobot)

rtty-weekend(a)nrrlcontest.no

Kenny WN8Y

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Kenneth Williams <ken.williams@...> wrote:
Ken (WN8Y)

I don't know the answer to your question but I just wanted to reply so that you were not left hanging.  Maybe someone else can help.  I am not a contester but I use that WA7BNM calendar so I know when there will be a lot of activity and I will be able to test the receive side of my station.

Regards

Ken
KC6PUQ