Topics

Mechanical TTY - WAS: FFT display

Mike Rhodes

Used to love to take the cover off my old model 19 and watch it hammer away. Ahhh, the smell of warm oil and oily paper chads everywhere. Of course, the noise with the cover off didn't win me any points with the rest of the family...
<CR><CR><LF><LTRS><LTRS>
Think there is an op in the RTTY contests who still does the above because it seems like there are a lot of non-printing characters after his call and before his carrier drops !!

Mike / W8DN

On 4/29/2020 6:46 PM, TED ALGREN wrote:
Hi Jon,

Put chains around those old units and use them as boat anchors.
Or, possibly, a radio history group could use them in a museum.

Vy 73,

Ted
KA6W

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 02:32:41 PM PDT, Jon Springer <springertool@...> wrote:

… interesting to read you all’s comments on the RTTY site… I did RTTY when Model 28 & 35 were popular … my grandkids don’t grasp that I was “texting” in the 60s & 70s.

Incidently,  I have a Model 28 KSR and a Model 21 AssocPress machine for someone interested.  The Model 28 has a 5-bit tape-perferator that also inks text on the tape … neat old stuff.

Kai-KE4PT

Jon, Mike, Ted,
I started operating RTTY in January 2011 using the now classic sound card setup with MMTTY barefoot. My objective was to complete DXCC in digital mode, But it has always been an item on my bucket list to operate what a local ham club member affectionately dubbed "steam-RTTY", the mechanical, chattering, oily, chad-spitting machine terminal RTTY! Some day I'll find a local steam-RTTY ham station!
There are better and more efficient digital modes, but RTTY remains the ONLY digital mode (CW excepted) that can be encoded and decoded by mechanical means, and is of course the original "texting mode". CW is the only digital mode that can be encoded and decode manually, and is the original "social media" mode.
Pardon my nostalgia and trip down memory lane, but please don't rush those museum candidates to Neptune's depths just yet.
Thanks to the many hams on this reflector who helped me with my initial RTTY questions, and to the patient hams of my initial RTTY contacts.
With kindest regards,
Kai Siwiak, KE4PT

On 4/29/2020 19:44, Mike Rhodes wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_