Topics

Mechanical TTY

Duncan Brown

There are still people using the old mechanical machines.

I would like your M21 for the Antique Wireless Museum, but we are in the Northeast and shipping would be difficult. The AWA Museum has about a dozen TTY machines on display (most of them working) from many different manufacturers.

The website RTTY.com has information on their Internet TTY ("ITTY") streaming AFSK audio service.

It is hard for some people to believe that digital communications & email/text messaging has been around for well over 120 years! See my AWA Museum TTY tour below.

Have fun,

Duncan, K2OEQ
USASA    31J30

Antique Wireless Assoc. Museum,
  Asst. Curator, Commercial Equipment
(also chief TTY op & repairman)

www.antiquewireless.org

Virtual TTY Tour:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htAXaia-_aU

Hank Riley

John Eigenbrode

Back in the 70’s my shack include a complete Western Union Model 19, Model 28 KSR, Model 28 ASR and Model 35 ASR (was ascii). Back then we would stop to chat during the BARTAG contest.
Oh the good ol’ days, now you can just mist a little WD-40 in the air for nostalgia.

73,
John W3SA

David Fuseler

If anyone with any older model mechanical RTTY machine would like to pass it on, I would be glad to receive.  Always wanted one, but never pursued one.
Anywhere within 100 miles (or so) of Charleston, SC.

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation iPad

On Apr 30, 2020, at 12:21 PM, Duncan Brown <duncanancy@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave,

Get on Greenkeys and make your desires known.
Also watch Craig's List & Ebay.

have fun,

Duncan
K2OEQ

On 30-Apr-20 12:43, David Fuseler wrote:
[...]

John Zempel

Reminds of movies back in the day, every newsroom scene had a TTY hammering away in the back and someone would go over a rip a sheet off. Thanks for the memories

John, KG4OLG

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 1:10 PM, Duncan Brown
<duncanancy@...> wrote:
[...]

Hans

start RTTY in the late 60th with a Siemens Lo50(?). Worked 1968 or 69 in WAEDC-RTTY, made 35 QSOs in max time, that was place 4 or 5 in Europe.

vy 73
Hans DK1RV /DL0IOA

David Fuseler

Will do thanks.  Didn’t know about Greenkeys, but have checked the others from time to time.

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation

On Apr 30, 2020, at 2:10 PM, Duncan Brown <duncanancy@...> wrote:

[...]

Went to Greenkeys.  Dumb question:  Do you have to subscribe to post ??

Dave NJ4F

On 4/30/2020 2:09 PM, Duncan Brown wrote:
[...]

I don't know.

Have fun & good luck,

Duncan
K2OEQ

On 30-Apr-20 21:44, David Fuseler wrote:

[...]

Will do, thanks for the reply..

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation

On May 1, 2020, at 8:44 AM, Duncan Brown <duncanancy@...> wrote:

[...]

Ralph Mowery

Did you look here for the info you want ?

I have been on that list for a few years.  Lots of good people  that seem to know teletype very well.

Ralph ku4pt

On Friday, May 1, 2020, 04:13:28 PM EDT, David Fuseler <nj4f@...> wrote:

Will do, thanks for the reply..

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation

On May 1, 2020, at 8:44 AM, Duncan Brown <duncanancy@...> wrote:

 I don't know.

Have fun & good luck,

Duncan
K2OEQ

On 30-Apr-20 21:44, David Fuseler wrote:
_._,_._,_

Ed Sharpe

please  I  would  like  to  buy  the model 21   teletype  for the  smecc museum Jon!
email  couryhouse@...

Hank Riley

SMECC is the Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications, and Computation in Glendale, Arizona.

http://www.smecc.org/

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, Ed Sharpe  wrote:

please  I  would  like  to  buy  the model 21 teletype  for the  smecc museum Jon!

email  couryhouse@...
_

Ed Sharpe

Thanks Hank!  Sorry, forgot to put the website in our previous post.

We have 2 current tools of the journalist displays  one at the main museum building  and one at the university this will enable us to have a 21 in each.
Thanks...
Ed Sharpe Archivist for SMECC  KF7RWW