Topics

FFT display


F4IFW
 

Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW


Don Hill AA5AU
 

You might have your receive audio gain turned up too high.   Turn down AF a little bit and see if it looks better. Are you using the USB port on the radio for receive audio? If not and you are sending audio directly from the radio to a computer sound card, try turning down the audio input level of the sound card.

 

Other than that, it appears you are copying RTTY OK.

 

73, Don AA5AU

 

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io [mailto:MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io] On Behalf Of F4IFW
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 10:03 AM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Subject: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] FFT display

 

Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW


Jim AC0E
 

Christian
First, Welcome to the world of RTTY and to Amateur Radio.

Second, your email was replied to by one the very best RTTY operators in our ranks.

Mr. Don Hill, AA5AU, getting his advice is some of the very best to acquire...

Once again, Welcome; and I hope to print your callsign soon.
73,
Jim AC0E


Glenn VanBlaricum, W6KNB
 

Christian:

I may not be interpreting your display correctly, but if BW = 60 is the bandwidth, it is too narrow. It needs to be larger than the 170 Hz shift. With your setting, only one of the tones is getting through the filter without loss, and the other is attenuated and noisy.

If you can, set the bandwidth to 500 Hz and then maybe work to maybe 250 Hz. That's about as low as I would go.

I hope this helps.

73 and good health,

Glenn, W6KNB

On 4/26/2020 8:02 AM, F4IFW wrote:
Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW
-- 
Glenn VanBlaricum, W6KNB
5026 Yaple Avenue
Santa Barbara, CA 93111
Telephone: 805-967-7523
Email: w6knb@...


Bob - KØRC
 

As Don AA5AU mentions, your MMTTY FFT display looks reasonable to me. There is an AGC setting within the MMTTY menu system that can be turned off and then you can manually adjust the program's audio gain. You will find these in the "Option (O)" menu pick, then select the "Setup MMTTY (O)" bottom item. Look in the "Limit Amp" panel where you can disable AGC, enable Over Samplng, and manually set the input gain.

In addition looking into the "View (V)" menu selection you will see pick items such as FFT sensitivity and FFT quality you can experiment with.

Another setting you might try adjusting is in the "Discriminator" panel. Here you have 4 discriminator "Types" to choose from. Selecting FIR,BPF will provide a more "crisp" Mark / Space tones compared to the rounded ellipsis.

Other than these areas, the MMTTY default settings are a decent place to start. As you curiosity and experience develop, there are many other adjustments you can make.

Welcome to the world of Baudot RTTY !!!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN


On 4/26/2020 10:02 AM, F4IFW wrote:
Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW

Virus-free. www.avast.com


F4IFW
 

Hi,

Thanks all for yours answers and advices.
I made changes but nothing seems to get better.
Maybe it's because working conditions are not real
I explain.
I test with an Baofeng UV5R on UHF and I receive with my YAESU FT 991A.
I'am not sure that is good condition for testing settings.
I'll wait for check with an real RTTY message on 20m or 40m and I'll tell you.

About connection, my YAESU is linked by the rear via USB cable direct to my computer.
I use virtuel Port COM 7 (Standard port) for PTT and FSK set-up.

73's

Christian F4IFW


Tony Chamberlain
 

Christian

Try on a real RTTY signal

There’s a RTTY contest on Wednesday - next one of the HQP series;


Note the times are UTC (so 2 hours behind Paris time).  Therefore on Wednesday 29th it will start at 13:30 French time.

There will be stations from across EU (the link I gave is for the RSGB, but other countries organizations are participating).

You should find plenty of stations to try to copy on 80/40/20 M

73

Tony G0AKC


On Apr 27, 2020, at 4:54 PM, F4IFW <christian.barde@...> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks all for yours answers and advices.
I made changes but nothing seems to get better.
Maybe it's because working conditions are not real
I explain.
I test with an Baofeng UV5R on UHF and I receive with my YAESU FT 991A.
I'am not sure that is good condition for testing settings.
I'll wait for check with an real RTTY message on 20m or 40m and I'll tell you.

About connection, my YAESU is linked by the rear via USB cable direct to my computer.
I use virtuel Port COM 7 (Standard port) for PTT and FSK set-up.

73's

Christian F4IFW


Jon Springer <springertool@...>
 

Don & others … interesting to read you all’s comments on the RTTY site… I did RTTY when Model 28 & 35 were popular … my grandkids don’t grasp that I was “texting” in the 60s & 70s.

 

Incidently,  I have a Model 28 KSR and a Model 21 AssocPress machine for someone interested.  The Model 28 has a 5-bit tape-perferator that also inks text on the tape … neat old stuff.

 

Regards,  Jon

 

Jon Springer KØFOP

340 N. 5th St. E.

Riverton, Wyoming  82501

307 840 3541

Springertool@...

 

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io On Behalf Of Don Hill AA5AU
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 2:09 PM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] FFT display

 

You might have your receive audio gain turned up too high.   Turn down AF a little bit and see if it looks better. Are you using the USB port on the radio for receive audio? If not and you are sending audio directly from the radio to a computer sound card, try turning down the audio input level of the sound card.

 

Other than that, it appears you are copying RTTY OK.

 

73, Don AA5AU

 

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io [mailto:MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io] On Behalf Of F4IFW
Sent: Sunday, April 26, 2020 10:03 AM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Subject: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] FFT display

 

Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW


Jim AC0E
 

The Baofeng radio is a -- FM-- radio that is probably not going to work out for your testing purposes. hihi

73,
Jim AC0E

On 4/27/2020 10:54 AM, F4IFW wrote:
Hi,

Thanks all for yours answers and advices.
I made changes but nothing seems to get better.
Maybe it's because working conditions are not real
I explain.
I test with an Baofeng UV5R on UHF and I receive with my YAESU FT 991A.
I'am not sure that is good condition for testing settings.
I'll wait for check with an real RTTY message on 20m or 40m and I'll tell you.

About connection, my YAESU is linked by the rear via USB cable direct to my computer.
I use virtuel Port COM 7 (Standard port) for PTT and FSK set-up.

73's

Christian F4IFW


--
James Douglass AC0E
DM97NX
PO Box 506
Garden City, Kansas 67846
620.272.7620 cell/text
https://qrz.com/db/ac0e


F4IFW
 

Good evening,

Thanks for the info.
I'll perform more testings wednesday 29th during contest.

73

Christian


dave
 



-----------------------------------------

From: "Bob - KØRC"
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io
Cc:
Sent: Monday April 27 2020 12:15:08AM
Subject: Re: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] FFT display

As Don AA5AU mentions, your MMTTY FFT display looks reasonable to me. There is an AGC setting within the MMTTY menu system that can be turned off and then you can manually adjust the program's audio gain. You will find these in the "Option (O)" menu pick, then select the "Setup MMTTY (O)" bottom item. Look in the "Limit Amp" panel where you can disable AGC, enable Over Samplng, and manually set the input gain.

In addition looking into the "View (V)" menu selection you will see pick items such as FFT sensitivity and FFT quality you can experiment with.

Another setting you might try adjusting is in the "Discriminator" panel. Here you have 4 discriminator "Types" to choose from. Selecting FIR,BPF will provide a more "crisp" Mark / Space tones compared to the rounded ellipsis.

Other than these areas, the MMTTY default settings are a decent place to start. As you curiosity and experience develop, there are many other adjustments you can make.

Welcome to the world of Baudot RTTY !!!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN


On 4/26/2020 10:02 AM, F4IFW wrote:
Hi,

First of all let me introduce myself.
I am a novice HAM and interested in RTTY mode.
I run an YAESU FT991A and my antenna is a dipole multiband 2 x 11m from KELEMEN.
I have installed virtual PORT ( ENHANCED Port #6 and standard Port #7) to run my YAESU via computer.

So it's my first post on this group (sorry for my bad english).

When I have a look at my FFT display (attached) it's not as clean as I can see on page 23 of the MMTTY Help book..
Maybe something is wrong with my settings but I don't know where I need to investigate.
Please could you help me and give me some advice?
73s

Christian F4IFW

Virus-free. www.avast.com


F4IFW
 

Hi,

Good news today.  ;-)
I made my first RTTY QSO this after-noon as you can see on the attached file (RTTY QSO).
It was during RSGB HQP Contest.
I need to use right settings for constest next time.
Today I replied to CQ on manuel not in automatic....Hi
As you can see on the over picture, my FFT display is not very "clean"  but it seems to be enough to perform some QSOs.
Now I hope to made more QSO ....;-)
Thanks again for yours helps and advices.
73

Christian F4IFW


Tony Chamberlain
 

That is good news

There are some further HQP contests planned - check the links I sent - so you can gain some more experience with it…

I’ve bee doing RTTY for about 40 years (I was a Telex engineer in the 1980s with teleprinters) and it remains one of my favourite modes….

73

De Tony G0AKC

On 29 Apr 2020, at 18:24, F4IFW <christian.barde@...> wrote:

Hi,

Good news today.  ;-)
I made my first RTTY QSO this after-noon as you can see on the attached file (RTTY QSO).
It was during RSGB HQP Contest.
I need to use right settings for constest next time.
Today I replied to CQ on manuel not in automatic....Hi
As you can see on the over picture, my FFT display is not very "clean"  but it seems to be enough to perform some QSOs.
Now I hope to made more QSO ....;-)
Thanks again for yours helps and advices.
73

Christian F4IFW <RTTY QSO.JPG><RSGB Contest 2.JPG>


Jon Springer <springertool@...>
 

… interesting to read you all’s comments on the RTTY site… I did RTTY when Model 28 & 35 were popular … my grandkids don’t grasp that I was “texting” in the 60s & 70s.

 

Incidently,  I have a Model 28 KSR and a Model 21 AssocPress machine for someone interested.  The Model 28 has a 5-bit tape-perferator that also inks text on the tape … neat old stuff.

 

Regards,  Jon

 

 

Jon Springer  KØFOP

340 N. 5th St. E.

Riverton, Wyoming  82501

307 857 3069

307 840 3541

Springertool@...

 


TED ALGREN
 

Hi Jon,
 
Put chains around those old units and use them as boat anchors.
Or, possibly, a radio history group could use them in a museum.
 
Vy 73,
 
Ted
KA6W
 
 
 

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 02:32:41 PM PDT, Jon Springer <springertool@...> wrote:
 
 

… interesting to read you all’s comments on the RTTY site… I did RTTY when Model 28 & 35 were popular … my grandkids don’t grasp that I was “texting” in the 60s & 70s.

 

Incidently,  I have a Model 28 KSR and a Model 21 AssocPress machine for someone interested.  The Model 28 has a 5-bit tape-perferator that also inks text on the tape … neat old stuff.

 


Russ WA3FRP
 

Hi Tony, 

Your Telex Engineer comments caught my eye.  I, too, was a Telex Engineer.  I started in June 1969 and was active in that side of the business until the late 1970s working for Western Union Telegraph and focused on the USA States of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.  My ham radio interest in teleprinters in the late 1960s got me a job in the Telex exchange.  So many years ago. Now that I have retired, I am active on RTTY using my Teletype Model 28 and HAL ST-6.  But, for most contests, I use N1MM and MMTTY.  Thanks for bringing back a lot of pleasant memories. 

73 
--
Russ WA3FRP


Harold MacFarlane
 

Hello Russ

My handle is Harold and got my call VE3BPM back in 1957

Back in the 70's I used thre #15 machine, 14 reperf and the mainliner TTL-2 terminal unit.
Worked like a charm and if the space disappesared it would reverse and copy on the mark

Have got a question. Does the regular software for the sound card also have "carriage return"

Being 89 I not too well versed in this computer age and find the sound card systems a little strange

Perhaps I should dust off the 15 machine. 

CUL Harold




At 12:18 PM 2020-04-30 -0700, you wrote:
Hi Tony,

Your Telex Engineer comments caught my eye.  I, too, was a Telex Engineer.  I started in June 1969 and was active in that side of the business until the late 1970s working for Western Union Telegraph and focused on the USA States of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.  My ham radio interest in teleprinters in the late 1960s got me a job in the Telex exchange.  So many years ago. Now that I have retired, I am active on RTTY using my Teletype Model 28 and HAL ST-6.  But, for most contests, I use N1MM and MMTTY.  Thanks for bringing back a lot of pleasant memories.

73
--
Russ WA3FRP
Virus-free. www.avg.com


David Fuseler
 

ENTER key

Dave NJ4F
2018 6th Generation 

On Apr 30, 2020, at 6:14 PM, Harold MacFarlane <macfltd@...> wrote:

 Hello Russ

My handle is Harold and got my call VE3BPM back in 1957

Back in the 70's I used thre #15 machine, 14 reperf and the mainliner TTL-2 terminal unit.
Worked like a charm and if the space disappesared it would reverse and copy on the mark

Have got a question. Does the regular software for the sound card also have "carriage return"

Being 89 I not too well versed in this computer age and find the sound card systems a little strange

Perhaps I should dust off the 15 machine. 

CUL Harold




At 12:18 PM 2020-04-30 -0700, you wrote:
Hi Tony,

Your Telex Engineer comments caught my eye.  I, too, was a Telex Engineer.  I started in June 1969 and was active in that side of the business until the late 1970s working for Western Union Telegraph and focused on the USA States of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.  My ham radio interest in teleprinters in the late 1960s got me a job in the Telex exchange.  So many years ago. Now that I have retired, I am active on RTTY using my Teletype Model 28 and HAL ST-6.  But, for most contests, I use N1MM and MMTTY.  Thanks for bringing back a lot of pleasant memories.

73
--
Russ WA3FRP
Virus-free. www.avg.com


Russ WA3FRP
 

Hi Harold, 

There is a recognized incompatibility between mechanical teleprinters and the modern computer based systems when it comes to printing that continues after character 72 without a CR LF.  There is a way for teleprinter users to protect against a carriage that piles up and overprints at the end of a line.  I have a document that shows how to install automatic CR and LF plus non-overline on a Teletype Model 28 that addresses this issue. I do recall that there was a solution for the Teletype Model 15 that appeared in RTTY Journal. However, I don't have a Model 15 and have never tried the modification locally. 

Thanks 73

Russ WA3FRP  



--
Russ WA3FRP


Harold MacFarlane
 


Good Morning Russ

Many thanks for the info.  It would be worth while firing up the # 15 if I can get the info on CR and LF.

I enjoyed the #15 very much. Only hic-up was the noise that sort of got to you after a few hours contesting

CUL
Harold
VE3BPM

At 10:46 PM 2020-04-30 -0400, you wrote:
Hi Harold,Â

There is a recognized incompatibility between mechanical teleprinters and the modern computer based systems when it comes to printing that continues after character 72 without a CR LF.  There is a way for teleprinter users to protect against a carriage that piles up and overprints at the end of a line.  I have a document that shows how to install automatic CR and LF plus non-overline on a Teletype Model 28 that addresses this issue. I do recall that there was a solution for the Teletype Model 15 that appeared in RTTY Journal. However, I don't have a Model 15 and have never tried the modification locally.Â

Thanks 73

Russ WA3FRPÂ Â



--
Russ WA3FRP
Virus-free. www.avg.com