Topics

Larry Stowell K1ZW

I would think that somebody on the list has an IC-7610 and is using MMTTY I can't my setup to xmitt. Receives fine.
Windows 10. I'm wondering if they would share their settings?

73 Larry K1ZW 

Tony Chamberlain

Hi Larry

I don’t yet have a 7610 but have used RTTY a lot on a 7300 which is similar.

How are you trying to send RTTY?

There are several options – AFSK or FSK? Via USB, MIC connector or ACC socket.

I generally use USB and AFSK at our club as it means a simple single cable set up – I use the radios internal sound card to decode and send the AFSK RTTY...   The USB also does CAT (or CI-V in Icom speak).   One can do FSK with a single cable but would need additional software on the computer to create a virtual COM port.

There are number of set up options to enable this – and one ‘gotcha’ is that you need to ensure you are using the ‘SSB D’ mode – that routes the audio from the internal sound card for digital modes rather than from the front panel

I generally prefer FSK RTTY and use that with other radios such as my TS-850 – you could easily set that up for the IC7610 but will need some sort of interface unit – I home brew these – a suitable circuit using transistor switching for TXD and RTS is shown on page 3 of the radio’s manual.  You connect to pins A and B on the ACC socket.

If you choose to use FSK you likely need to select the EXTFSK option in MMTTY to generate the correct signals from the serial port (adaptor) unless you are using an older computer/port emulator with a ‘real’ COM port.

So which way of sending RTTY do you want to use?

Let us know and we can advise further

Tony G0AKC

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Larry Stowell K1ZW <wa2fif@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 2:06:12 PM
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io>
Subject: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] 7610

I would think that somebody on the list has an IC-7610 and is using MMTTY I can't my setup to xmitt. Receives fine.

73 Larry K1ZW 

Jim AC0E

LARRY,
DID WIN10 TURN OFF YOUR MICROPHONE??
 WIND10pro  DID IT TO ME..
...RICH,VE3KI, GAVE ME THE HEADS UP TO CHECK THAT OUT.

I DID AND NOW BACK IN BUSINESS ...

--
James Douglass AC0E
DM97NX
PO Box 506
Garden City, Kansas 67846
620.272.7620 cell/text
https://qrz.com/db/ac0e

Jamie WW3S

google K0PIR, he has a good video on his site....

On May 6, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Larry Stowell K1ZW <wa2fif@...> wrote:

73 Larry K1ZW 

Jamie WW3S

You don’t need an external interface for either radio, Big difference between the two radios is the 7610 creates two virtual ports, so you can use fsk directly using the second port....with the 7300, you’ll need a port splitter and extfsk . I use VPSE for my port splitter, others used com0com....

On May 6, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Tony Chamberlain <g0akc@...> wrote:

Hi Larry

I generally use USB and AFSK at our club as it means a simple single cable set up – I use the radios internal sound card to decode and send the AFSK RTTY...   The USB also does CAT (or CI-V in Icom speak).   One can do FSK with a single cable but would need additional software on the computer to create a virtual COM port.

There are number of set up options to enable this – and one ‘gotcha’ is that you need to ensure you are using the ‘SSB D’ mode – that routes the audio from the internal sound card for digital modes rather than from the front panel

I generally prefer FSK RTTY and use that with other radios such as my TS-850 – you could easily set that up for the IC7610 but will need some sort of interface unit – I home brew these – a suitable circuit using transistor switching for TXD and RTS is shown on page 3 of the radio’s manual.  You connect to pins A and B on the ACC socket.

If you choose to use FSK you likely need to select the EXTFSK option in MMTTY to generate the correct signals from the serial port (adaptor) unless you are using an older computer/port emulator with a ‘real’ COM port.

Tony G0AKC

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Larry Stowell K1ZW <wa2fif@...>

73 Larry K1ZW 

Adrian Engele

I use FSK on my 7300. This setup works like a charm!
This should work just as well with the 7610.  Good luck!  Single UBS cable does it all.

73, Adrian AA5UK

Joe Humet

Tnx for the info. I just received my New 7300 yesterday and was planing on setting it up today.
I'm sure that you just saved me what little hair I have left on my hear..

Joe  K2DS

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Adrian Engele via groups.io <aa5uk@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2020 8:31 AM
To: mmtty-sb-rtty@groups.io <mmtty-sb-rtty@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [MMTTY-SB-RTTY] 7610

I use FSK on my 7300. This setup works like a charm!
This should work just as well with the 7610.  Good luck!  Single UBS cable does it all.

73, Adrian AA5UK

Larry Stowell K1ZW

To everybody that assisted

I got it working, I wanted to get mmty working as a stand alone first. than sue it with another

logging program.

All of the videos jump right into N1MM+ (not my favorite) use to use it back in day, before

the plus.

Anyway thanks again

73 Larry K1ZW

On 5/6/2020 12:20 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
google K0PIR, he has a good video on his site....

On May 6, 2020, at 9:06 AM, Larry Stowell K1ZW <wa2fif@...> wrote:

73 Larry K1ZW 

Tony Chamberlain

Jamie

I got myself an IC7610

As you mention, you can use the two virtual ports that the 7610 sets up on the USB interface.

I have FSK working from MMTTY/EXTFSK – but only if the radio is in ‘RTTY’ mode.    In that mode I don’t seem to have receive audio (via the USB codec) in MMTTY

I do get audio to MMTTY over USB if I use ‘SSB D’ (say SSBD1) mode – but then have to have AFSK for RTTY transmit.

What mode should/can the radio be in for FSK RTTY from MMTTY?

This doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the Icom manuals.

Thanks in advance

Tony G0AKC

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 5:28:17 PM

You don’t need an external interface for either radio, Big difference between the two radios is the 7610 creates two virtual ports, so you can use fsk directly using the second port....with the 7300, you’ll need a port splitter and extfsk . I use VPSE for my port splitter, others used com0com....

Hi Larry

Tony G0AKC

73 Larry K1ZW 

Tony Chamberlain

Things have moved on since I sent the earlier email

• I can now send and receive using FSK using MMTTY (with or without N1MM logger) with the radio in ‘RTTY’ mode.  A bonus is having the decode on the radio’s screen if I wish as well as in the digi window in N1MM/in MMTTY.
  • FSK working fine using the second virtual port over the USB cable – PTT too as I wish.
  • However – I cannot receive with MMTTY if I use the SSB D mode on the radio and the narrow (500Hz) filter.  This would be an issue if wishing to use AFSK for some reason.  I simply cannot tune a RTTY signal into MMTTY with the filter/mode combo.    It’s OK with MMVARI or if I use a wider filter...

Anyone else had this – unable to receive in MMTTY with ‘LSB D’ and narrow filter with the IC7610?

Thanks and 73 de Tony G0AKC

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Tony Chamberlain <g0akc@...>
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2020 5:40:41 PM

Jamie

I got myself an IC7610

As you mention, you can use the two virtual ports that the 7610 sets up on the USB interface.

I have FSK working from MMTTY/EXTFSK – but only if the radio is in ‘RTTY’ mode.    In that mode I don’t seem to have receive audio (via the USB codec) in MMTTY

I do get audio to MMTTY over USB if I use ‘SSB D’ (say SSBD1) mode – but then have to have AFSK for RTTY transmit.

Thanks in advance

Tony G0AKC

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Jamie WW3S <ww3s@...>

Hi Larry

Tony G0AKC

73 Larry K1ZW 

Jamie WW3S

I dont use AFSK, but if its working in FSK and not AFSK, I'm guessing the offset is set incorrectly or differently. with AFSK you need to tune off the carrier freq to properly decode, depending on the software setting, typically 2125 Kc....

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 5/14/2020 12:52:24 PM

• I can now send and receive using FSK using MMTTY (with or without N1MM logger) with the radio in ‘RTTY’ mode.  A bonus is having the decode on the radio’s screen if I wish as well as in the digi window in N1MM/in MMTTY.
  • FSK working fine using the second virtual port over the USB cable – PTT too as I wish.
  • However – I cannot receive with MMTTY if I use the SSB D mode on the radio and the narrow (500Hz) filter.  This would be an issue if wishing to use AFSK for some reason.  I simply cannot tune a RTTY signal into MMTTY with the filter/mode combo.    It’s OK with MMVARI or if I use a wider filter...

Anyone else had this – unable to receive in MMTTY with ‘LSB D’ and narrow filter with the IC7610?

From: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io <MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io> on behalf of Tony Chamberlain <g0akc@...>

Jamie

I got myself an IC7610

Thanks in advance

Tony G0AKC

Hi Larry

Tony G0AKC

73 Larry K1ZW 

Tony Chamberlain

Thanks Jamie

I’ve resolved the issue by changing the alignment frequency for MMTTY in N1MM+ digital mode settings to 1500 Hz rather than the 2125 that it had defaulted to.

I understood the need to tune off the carrier frequency but hadn’t got as far as checking the alignment frequencies.

I guess there’s a similar setting in standalone MMTTY which I will look for.

I didn’t get the same issue with the IC 7300

Hopefully it will help anyone else with the same issue.

73 Tony G0AKC

Sent: 14 May 2020 20:29
To: MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io; MMTTY-SB-RTTY@groups.io

I dont use AFSK, but if its working in FSK and not AFSK, I'm guessing the offset is set incorrectly or differently. with AFSK you need to tune off the carrier freq to properly decode, depending on the software setting, typically 2125 Kc....

------ Original Message ------

Sent: 5/14/2020 12:52:24 PM

Jamie

I got myself an IC7610

Thanks in advance

Tony G0AKC

Hi Larry

Tony G0AKC

73 Larry K1ZW