Topics

2m or 70cm RTTY

larry fields

Edited

Saw on one program  where it list RTTY for 2m or 70cm and was wondering if anyone know of any group doing this and is widely used. I am in the Philippines and in control of our clubs repeater group. I mentioned it to my club but no one has ever tried it on vhf or uhf.

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx

Mel Cruts

I recall when I lived in northern California about 25 years ago that there was a local 2 meter repeater dedicated to RTTY.  It was on FM and those who used it merely fed the AFSK tones to their 2 meter FM rig to access it.  It worked quite well.

If you choose to do RTTY in the weak signal area of the 2 meter band with AFSK on SSB then frequency stability becomes a concern.  One would need the high stability VFO feature in their transceiver.  On 70 cm, the frequency stability would become even more of a concern.
73,
Mel - KF6OZ

Ralph Mowery

Around 30 years ago in North Carolina we had a 220 band MHz repeater made of the Clegg mobile units and most used them at home for rtty.  They were FM units and put out about 10 watts.  We also fed audio into the transceivers.  Most left their demodulators on all the time and when someone sent out a message everyone got it.  We could look at the paper any time and see what was going on.  There were about 20 on the repeater.  The repeater was nothing much, just set up as an audio repeater just like any other voice repeater and we could talk on it if we needed to.

It quit being used over 20 years ago.

Ralph ku4pt

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 10:43:45 AM EDT, Mel Cruts <mel@...> wrote:

I recall when I lived in northern California about 25 years ago that there was a local 2 meter repeater dedicated to RTTY.  It was on FM and those who used it merely fed the AFSK tones to their 2 meter FM rig to access it.  It worked quite well.

If you choose to do RTTY in the weak signal area of the 2 meter band with AFSK on SSB then frequency stability becomes a concern.  One would need the high stability VFO feature in their transceiver.  On 70 cm, the frequency stability would become even more of a concern.
73,
Mel - KF6OZ
_._,_._,_
,_._,_

Ed Sharpe

see the  above  page  for the  50s  era  w/  2m  am  rtty

ARTS -   Amateur Radio Teletype Society

History and Bulletins

From the  Jim Haynes, Red Wilson and Ed Sharpe collections at SMECC

Bulletins

9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16   17  18   19  20

21  22   23  24  25   26  27  28  29  30-31

32  33  34   35  36  37  38  39  40

41  42   43   44  45   46  47   48  49 50-51

52  53  54          bulletin-letter488  Intro

Reprint early bulletins printed on tty paper

In a message dated 10/9/2020 7:46:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time, mel@...

In a message dated 10/9/2020 7:46:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time, mel@... writes:

I recall when I lived in northern California about 25 years ago that there was a local 2 meter repeater dedicated to RTTY.  It was on FM and those who used it merely fed the AFSK tones to their 2 meter FM rig to access it.  It worked quite well.

If you choose to do RTTY in the weak signal area of the 2 meter band with AFSK on SSB then frequency stability becomes a concern.  One would need the high stability VFO feature in their transceiver.  On 70 cm, the frequency stability would become even more of a concern.
73,
Mel - KF6OZ

Ed Sharpe

these  are  the  early  ones   done  by Wayne  Green  not the later    large and long  running    rtty  journals....  whats  cool on  the  50s  there  was  2m  am  rtty    this  group     was  HQ  in  the  east  coast.

see the  above  page  for the  50s  era  w/  2m  am  rtty

ARTS -   Amateur Radio Teletype Society

History and Bulletins

From the  Jim Haynes, Red Wilson and Ed Sharpe collections at SMECC

added  note  if  you  have  any  historical info    for  us  to re publish  use  my email on here  at the couryhouse address  not the  info@...   while  we  are  on  covid  closure

In a message dated 10/9/2020 12:04:23 PM US Mountain Standard Time, COURYHOUSE@... writes:

these  are  the  early  ones   done  by Wayne  Green  not the later    large and long  running    rtty  journals....  whats  cool on  the  50s  there  was  2m  am  rtty    this  group     was  HQ  in  the  east  coast.

see the  above  page  for the  50s  era  w/  2m  am  rtty

ARTS -   Amateur Radio Teletype Society

History and Bulletins

From the  Jim Haynes, Red Wilson and Ed Sharpe collections at SMECC

[...]

Dick Wilson

The repeater was K6GWE on 146.10/70 Mt. Tamalpais just north of San Francisco.
I had a borrowed 28 with a Fleisher TU in the bedroom of our mobile home.
AIR, it was the later 1970s.

Dick K6LRN

On 10/9/2020 7:17 AM, Mel Cruts wrote:
I recall when I lived in northern California about 25 years ago that there was a local 2 meter repeater dedicated to RTTY.  It was on FM and those who used it merely fed the AFSK tones to their 2 meter FM rig to access it.  It worked quite well.

If you choose to do RTTY in the weak signal area of the 2 meter band with AFSK on SSB then frequency stability becomes a concern.  One would need the high stability VFO feature in their transceiver.  On 70 cm, the frequency stability would become even more of a concern.
73,
Mel - KF6OZ

larry fields

Thanks all i will see if our groups here would want to do this on uhf or vhf, a few are interested in rtty but never tried it. Thanks again from larry

Sent from my Mi phone
Oct 10, 2020 03:30 wrote on Dick Wilson <k6lrn12@...>:

[...]

I was from the Bay area and was a member of EBARC and CCCC and use to work alot of the repeaters I joined in 1982 at the time.

appreciate the feedback on this

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

Kai-KE4PT

Ed,
Regarding historical info:
I learned about RTTY from the 13 classic articles by Irvin M. Hoff, K8DKC, published between January 1965 and September 1966 in QST. Irvin covered all aspects of RTTY in those articles. My second source was the kind help that I received from several folk on this reflector before my first RTTY QSOs in January of 2010.

[One of my bucket items is to operate a "steam RTTY" station - teletype machine, paper tape, and the sweet smell of fine machine oil - and to make at least one QSO using that venerable "original" equipment!]

Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 10/9/2020 15:07, Ed Sharpe via groups.io wrote:
if  you  have  any  historical info    for  us  to re publish

John Eigenbrode

I was in Region 7 Navy MARS and we had a two meter repeater and used it to sent bulletins etc via RTTY using AFSK and most had a setup for Autostart to receive traffic automatically.
73,
John W3SA (ex ASE2 NNN0IUB

On Oct 10, 2020, at 11:37 PM, larry fields <n6hpx1@...> wrote:

I was from the Bay area and was a member of EBARC and CCCC and use to work alot of the repeaters I joined in 1982 at the time.

appreciate the feedback on this

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

MANILA PH (PH:9163405944(GLOBE))
===============================
CLUBS
ARRL
DX1PAR, 7095 Khz
DX1PRS 145.340 Mhz
DX1AFP  432.440 Mhz

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 11:21 AM larry fields via groups.io <n6hpx1=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

scm325

Somebody was asking about nets, there is a quasi-informal military net Saturday mornings between 08:30 and 10:00 am eastern 7087, 850 shift

Steve

KM4V

I learned about RTTY from the 13 classic articles by Irvin M. Hoff, K8DKC, published between January 1965 and September 1966 in QST. Irvin covered all aspects of RTTY in those articles. My second source was the kind help that I received from several folk on this reflector before my first RTTY QSOs in January of 2010.

[One of my bucket items is to operate a "steam RTTY" station - teletype machine, paper tape, and the sweet smell of fine machine oil - and to make at least one QSO using that venerable "original" equipment!]

Kindest regards,
Kai, KE4PT

On 10/9/2020 15:07, Ed Sharpe via groups.io wrote:

if  you  have  any  historical info    for  us  to re publish

larry fields

Edited

I ran this idea past my group this morning and so far its been favored, were waiting for more input to this. We have 6 frequencies here and 5 are UHF.

My thoughts is 444.350 mHz for the RTTY which we can learn and adjust to the program and even train ourselves for contests. In our video chat this morning we discussed it and so far many like the idea. We have a JS8CALL group here and they been doing good but small membership as well.

We have several Hams that run rtty during the contests and alot of who want to learn, so maybe we will have more joining our ranks on the RTTY world.

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

larry fields

Edited

whats the UTC on this I have been using it for 4 yrs here and plan to get our club members involved in this. I am using Signalink usb, and MMTTY/N1mm+ for my set up.
Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

larry fields

Edited

I AM using a different machine I got 2 computers and this one I seldom use

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

larry fields

Edited

also note my computer is set for utc not standard time since I am in the Philippines not in USA

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

Brian Heywood

Ok larry,

Then the correct UTC time now is 3:16 am (or 0316) 11 October 2020.

73, Brian, ZL1IE

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 3:57 PM Larry Fields <n6hpx1@...> wrote:
whats the UTC on this I have been using it for 4 yrs here and plan to get our club members involved in this.

larry fields

I guess when I go on the contest I will do the update each time. this one i am on is never on RTTY or FT or SSTV

Thanks and 73
Larry Fields: du1/n6hpx
du1/n6hpx@...

Hank Riley

I think Larry (in the Philippines) is asking for the UTC of the net Steve mentioned, so the answer is simply 13:30 to 15:00 UTC if Steve is using Eastern Standard Time (EST), or 12:30 to 14:00 if Eastern Daylight Time (EDT).

I think it's the former.

Hank

On Saturday, October 10, 2020, 03:17:39 PM EDT, scm325 <highpwr@...> wrote:

Somebody was asking about nets, there is a quasi-informal military net Saturday mornings between 08:30 and 10:00 am eastern 7087, 850 shift.

Steve
KM4V

Ed Sharpe

what year was that John?  Ed#