Topics

Saturday Night Net Results #simplex-results

Simplextons:

The lightning storm that plowed through the area last night made a lot of Simplextons get unplugged, so the results are a bit lower than normal, but still good:

See/Hear last night's Net here.

2m FM had 32 check-ins
2m USB had 6 check-ins
6m USB had 7 check-ins

One of our Simplextons, Rusty N8PPY took a lightning strike that apparently took out his FT-991, a PC and a router.  I've had quite a bit of experience with lightning strikes and damage they cause, and there is, ultimately, nothing you can do to prevent a strike on or adjacent to your qth, and the ONLY way to prevent lightning induced or directly caused electrical damage to your equipment is to COMPLETELY isolate your power supply, radio, tuner, etc. from ALL power, grounds and antenna connections.  Very hard to accomplish if you have to do it every time there's a storm.

Don't forget the 10m USB net on 28.415 at 7:30 PM
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

N1MDJ Michael Jordan

Paul and the gang,
I had a lightening g strike hit my next.door neighbors house direct last summer and it took out many wallwatts, garage door motor(most if not all of them are direct plugged into an outlet) fibre modem and much more. Luckily none of my pc or radio gear was affected. Some equipment just seemed to pick it up by being near that side of the house. It took out equipment for 5 surrounding homes! Some was even on surge and ups. Lots of truth in disconnecting equipment totally when lightening is around. That's my two cents worth.

Michael Jordan, N1MDJ

Regards,
Michael Jordan

[...]

KM4UGQ Joe

As a retired Insurance Adjuster, I did experience a lot of lightning strike claims.  One way your electrical system can be affected is if you have a sprinkler system with a rain gauge attached to the aluminum gutter.  A nearby strike (like in a tree) will send static electricity into the very conductive aluminum gutters which then finds it’s way to the rain gauge wires, then into the automatic timer (full of electronics without surge protection) then into the 110 v electric plug and BINGO, it is into your electric panel. Your garage overhead door opener is usually hit also.  If the Rain Bird (sprinkler controller) is not plugged into a GFI breaker, the surge may get beyond the breaker and into that circuits wire.  There folks, is how the electronics on the Microwave, Refrigerator, etc..  seems to get “fried” by lightning.  If that happens, you will need to have an electrician inspect and complete a “lighting strike affidavit” in order for your insurance company to pay.  And your outside HVACs are another prime target for the same electronics getting fried.  Best protection is to throw the breaker for the sprinkler system unit until the storm passes.

Hope this helps, and I am very happy to be retired from that line or work.  Flooding, Tornadoes, Ice, Freezing Rain, etc..  no longer make very busy, so now I can relax and enjoy sleeping in.

Joe KM4UGQ