Topics

Flooded coax connector advise

W4TFZ Carey

During the flash flooding last weekend some floating debris grabbed my coax (RG8X) and pulled all of the slack out of the cable submerging the lightening arrestor, and a foot or so of coax on both sides of it, near the base of the mast. When I checked the next day and unscrewed the connectors water poured out of the ends. So my question is how far back do I need to cut off the coax to install new connectors? How far will water wick up into the coax. Does anyone have any previous experience to offer a suggestion? I'm trying to keep from having to drop the mast to replace the entire length but at the same time I want to be sure to get past the moisture.

Carey
W4TFZ

K4IDC Robin

Water can easily wick a couple of feet into coax braid. You'll just have to cut & see. Watch for the change in coloration of the copper as you trim, and also watch for more water to drip out as you trim. When the color looks newer (brighter) and there's no sign of moisture, you're in a good zone.
Suggestion: if there's good reason to use 8X for your base station, then fine..otherwise, consider upgrading the coax to something more substantial such as RG-8 or Belden 9913 or LMR-400. 8X is designed for applications where small size & flexibility is a requirement or otherwise beneficial, such as jumpers between radios, meters and tuners, or in mobile installations.
I have some sections of RG-8 that might be useful to you; what length would you need?

Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 9:58 PM W4TFZ Carey <csmith3233@...> wrote:
During the flash flooding last weekend some floating debris grabbed my coax (RG8X) and pulled all of the slack out of the cable submerging the lightening arrestor, and a foot or so of coax on both sides of it, near the base of the mast. When I checked the next day and unscrewed the connectors water poured out of the ends. So my question is how far back do I need to cut off the coax to install new connectors? How far will water wick up into the coax. Does anyone have any previous experience to offer a suggestion? I'm trying to keep from having to drop the mast to replace the entire length but at the same time I want to be sure to get past the moisture.

Carey
W4TFZ

W4TFZ Carey

Thanks Robin, that's sort of what I was thinking but I wanted a more experienced second opinion about how far up the coax to cut it. I've seen water wick up insulation several feet from the eave on metal buildings, even over then next purlin, if the ends aren't sealed. I just didn't have a point of reference for coax. I'm just looking for the quick fix for now.

The RG8X is on my HF wire antenna, not the VHF/UHF, I have LMR400 there. It stayed in place and dry. I'm using the 8X because I have a roll of it, and at 50 ft or so total length the loss is minimal. I can order LMR400, or 9913, thru work if I end up needing to. When we get better weather, and I have time, I'm going to change the HF system anyway to make it easier to work on, but for now I have a couple of hundred feet of fence laying on the ground and a bunch of posts to replace that will have to come first. I lost about the same amount of fence as I did in 2010. I'm just thankful I don't have any critters in the pasture to get out.