Help building an antenna #antennas

KO4HGO Josh

I have 2 SO-239 connectors that I plan to build a 2 meter and a 440 ground plane antenna with tomorrow. I had someone coming to help me but that is not working out. They had the soldering iron and swr meter I needed to build them. So I am in need of someone with the equipment that would be willing to go with me to Lowe’s to get the rest of the parts needed to build these antennas and help me assemble them. I am in Gallatin at the corner of 109 and airport road. Anyone available to help? If so call or text me @ 615-812-0747

W4TFZ Carey

Josh, you are talking about going to Lowes, what kind of parts are you looking for? I might have some extra stuff laying around that could help.

I tried to build a triband "cactus" J-pole last year to match my mobile, and after several weekends I never could get it to tune without an analyzer. I finally gave up after spending about $100 on copper tubing and such, I broke down and just ordered a Diamond X510 and called it done before I spent any more money on the "cheap" way out. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the time I spent on it but I also learned that sometimes its cheaper to let the experts build it.

With the current market for copper, it's at an all time high and still going up, plus shortage of raw materials you might be ahead just to order a factory antennae.

W9BOQ Dennis <dwage@...>

This is the first and only dual band I ever built. It seemed to work fairly well. Then I got my Diamond X-700. No more need to build a dual band antenna.

Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)

245 Corum Hill Road
Castalian Springs, TN 37031
(615) 310-4242 Cell
http://hammondb3organ.net

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 8:47 AM W4TFZ Carey <csmith3233@...> wrote:
Josh, you are talking about going to Lowes, what kind of parts are you looking for? I might have some extra stuff laying around that could help.

I tried to build a triband "cactus" J-pole last year to match my mobile, and after several weekends I never could get it to tune without an analyzer. I finally gave up after spending about $100 on copper tubing and such, I broke down and just ordered a Diamond X510 and called it done before I spent any more money on the "cheap" way out. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the time I spent on it but I also learned that sometimes its cheaper to let the experts build it.

With the current market for copper, it's at an all time high and still going up, plus shortage of raw materials you might be ahead just to order a factory antennae.

KO4HGO Josh

Well my plans may have changed. This pic was the plan but when I sent it to a friend of mine he said he had a Arrow GP146/440 that if he can find it, will give it to me. As it is pretty much the same antenna. So I am waiting to hear from him before I make any more plans.

KM4YRF Mike

Good job Josh! How does it work?

On Sunday, April 11, 2021, 11:33:49 AM CDT, KO4HGO Josh via groups.io <joshlynn35@...> wrote:

Well my plans may have changed. This pic was the plan but when I sent it to a friend of mine he said he had a Arrow GP146/440 that if he can find it, will give it to me. As it is pretty much the same antenna. So I am waiting to hear from him before I make any more plans.

KO4HGO Josh

That was just the plan. It’s a pic from QRZ of what I wanted to build.

KO4HGO Josh

If I end up building it, I will share the pics.