DMR

KO4HGO Josh

I am looking at getting into digital. I have found a dual band DMR. Do the DMR repeaters around here have a good strong signal? It’s just an HT so it won’t have the strongest signal to begin with. How many of you all are on DMR? Oh and I basically understand nothing about digital or how to even get started.

NI4D Carl

There are a couple of new DMR repeaters on 70cm in the Williamson County area that WCARES put in. Your best bet is probably a hot spot, MMDVM based,  OpenSpot, Shark, etc. Several folks around here use them. They don't connect to a repeater, per se, but hit hit the internet backbone that connects the DMR repeaters. TAC-310 sends to be a busy talk group to tap into once your set up.

KO4HGO Josh

How do I connect the hot spot to the radio? And I heard someone say that digital is kind of like a chat room. Is that right?

KO4HGO Josh

Ok I looked up the hotspots and that’s pretty simple.

NI4D Carl

It's really pretty easy. You just set up a simplex connection from your radio to the hot spot on the frequency you configured. There are several varieties available, particularly on Amazon. They are basically a Raspberry Pi Zero with a radio piggy-backed "hat" on them. Some are dual band, or otherwise advanced, but the basic units are around $100 and do just fine one you get the wi-fi settings and DMR connection configured. Most work for Fusion, P25 and D-Star as well.

N8NUT Karl

Good morning Joshua
Their  is about 8 or 10 guys on Arklatex talk group everyday
Most of us are using a open spot
Not sure how good the DMR repeats are in the Nashville area
If I can help let me know
N8NUT
Karl

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 9:06 PM KO4HGO Josh via groups.io <joshlynn35=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am looking at getting into digital. I have found a dual band DMR. Do the DMR repeaters around here have a good strong signal? It’s just an HT so it won’t have the strongest signal to begin with. How many of you all are on DMR? Oh and I basically understand nothing about digital or how to even get started.

Austin Cates

It's probably worth mentioning that you can talk on DMR, as well as Yaesu System Fusion, P.25, & all the other digital voice modes with free software on a PC or Android phone/tablet. No Radio or Hotspot required. I believe an IOS version is being considered as well for Iphone/Ipad users.

The software is called "DudeStar" for Windows 10, & a mobile equivalent called "DroidStar" for Android. The app takes the place of both a Digital Voice Radio & a HotSpot. Of course you will NOT have the ability to access repeaters which aren't connected to the internet.  It may be worth checking out before you spend $350+ on a DMR radio & Hotspot. Especially if you don't have local DMR repeater(s) to use the radio with directly. That investment might be better spent elsewhere, like a good antenna or something, if that's the case. And make an old phone your new DMR radio.   ;)

You will still have to acquire a DMR ID (get from RadioID.net) as well as familiarize yourself with the Brandmeister System a bit. You won't have a physical hotspot or radio, but static TalkGroups must be added on Brandmeister Self Care webpage under the "HotSpots" section & assign it an ESSID # for the app to work properly. Don't worry, It only sounds complicated, it's really not difficult.   ;)

These things have to be done in order to use DMR over the internet, whether by Software or by physical radio & hotspot. Youtube is an invaluable resource in that department. Search for "Getting started with DMR" or "DMR Radio Basics" & watch some videos. I expect more videos about "DudeStar" & "DroidStar" will be popping up as well.

Best Regards,
Ausin C.- K5QF
Fentress ARES EC
CPARC VE Team Lead
East TN Red Cross DAT
#931-488-8324

This E-mail may contain PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the Individual(s) named. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any Dissemination, Use, Copying, or Retainment of this E-mail is strictly prohibited & may violate state law.  Please also be aware unencrypted email is not secure & sensitive information should not be sent unencrypted.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021, 00:30 NI4D Carl <carl_caldwell@...> wrote:
It's really pretty easy. You just set up a simplex connection from your radio to the hot spot on the frequency you configured. There are several varieties available, particularly on Amazon. They are basically a Raspberry Pi Zero with a radio piggy-backed "hat" on them. Some are dual band, or otherwise advanced, but the basic units are around $100 and do just fine one you get the wi-fi settings and DMR connection configured. Most work for Fusion, P25 and D-Star as well.

Josh,

In our area there three that would probably the easiest to hit. Before I got my base set up, I also used an HT and I had good results reaching all three repeaters. There is also one in short mountain near Murfreesboro. I’m on DMR quite a bit and really enjoy it.

There is also a Simplex DMR net that N8NUT Carl holds for digital modes, to include DMR, on Saturdays starting at 1930hrs.

What kind of radio are you getting? DMR seemed a bit daunting to me at first. But once you understand it’s quite simple. I read W2XAB’s guide and it was really helpful. The link is below.

http://guide.k4usd.org/

if you need any help, send me an email and I’ll be happy to help. My email on QRZ is good.

Calros KO4JNY

KO4HGO Josh

Thanks you guys for all the responses. The radio is a TYT (not sure of the model) but it will end up being about $2-300 to get started and I am just not sure it’s worth it. I have 4 radios now and a nice vehicle set up and a base set up with a nice antenna. I can get out 60-80 miles at home and 40-60 miles in my vehicle. My debate with myself is to spend the money on HF or digital. Wish I had the money to do both.