#antennas #antennas

See this Hustler 2m vertical that is half the cost of the X700 but has a 7 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3

I kind of wish I had one in order to test how good it gets out.
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

I was wrong, this Hustler 2m has a 9.15 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3 dbi gain (on 2 meters)
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

KM4HQE Stan Gammons

That Hustler antenna is what I have.  I don't hear a lot of the folks you do Paul.   Don't think I'm at near the same elevation and I know there are some obstacles in most directions.  A lot of this area is sort of down in a bowl making it an uphill battle terrain wise no matter which direction you go.  I did hear most/all of the folks that checked in from Murfreesboro tonight. I almost always hear the fellow in Readyville.  Nothing farther south. I don't hear west or north very well.  Michael, KM4YRF?, is always very good. At times I can barely hear the fellow that does the net in KY.   So, I don't know how the Hustler would compare to the X700.  If you want to try comparing it some time, I can take it down, disassemble it and bring it over.  Don't know how much trouble it would be to install at your QTH.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 11/24/19 12:01 AM, K4PEW Paul Wieloszynski wrote:
I was wrong, this Hustler 2m has a 9.15 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3 dbi gain (on 2 meters)
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

K4IDC Robin

Hustler's G7 has been a mainstay vertical antenna for the 2m band for many years. Repeater owners like them for their reliability & performance.
Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 11:54 PM K4PEW Paul Wieloszynski <k4pew@...> wrote:
See this Hustler 2m vertical that is half the cost of the X700 but has a 7 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3

I kind of wish I had one in order to test how good it gets out.
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

K4IDC Robin

Stan,
Would moving your G7 to the mast of your tower be helpful?

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019, 8:23 AM KN4HQE Stan Gammons <sg063015@...> wrote:
[...]

We could fabricate a mast extension to raise the G7 above the top of the current mast if you want.
Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:44 AM K4IDC@... <robink4idc@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Robin,

The mast it's on isn't telescoped out as far as it can go.  I goofed when I installed it and didn't telescope one of the lower sections all the way before attaching it to the eave of the house. I think it will telescope another 10 ft. It's a 35 ft mast, if I remember right.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 11/24/19 1:06 PM, K4IDC Robin wrote:
[...]

I'm happy to help you put it higher up if you'd like.
Thanks,
Robin Midgett K4IDC

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM KN4HQE Stan Gammons <sg063015@...> wrote:
[...]

W9BOQ Dennis Wage <dwage@...>

Me too..
Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)

245 Corum Hill Road
Castalian Springs, TN 37031
(615) 310-4242 Cell
http://hammondb3organ.net

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 4:00 PM K4IDC Robin <K4IDC@...> wrote:
[...]

Ok.  Thanks for the offers to help.  No real hurry to get it done.  Will likely need a 14 ft stepladder like we used when it was installed. The eave of the house is 16 ft.  Will have to guy the mast too if it's extended that much taller.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 11/24/19 4:00 PM, K4IDC Robin wrote:
[...]

WB0NOO Mark

I just noticed that the Hustler is 7 dBd and the Diamond X700 is 9.3 dBi.  Since dBd is 2.15 more than dBi they are specified only .15 different yet the Hustler is much shorter.  Then in another place the Hustler G7-144 is rated 9.15 dBi, who really knows?  Maybe just the Shadow!

Mark

On 11/23/2019 11:54 PM, K4PEW Paul Wieloszynski wrote:
See this Hustler 2m vertical that is half the cost of the X700 but has a 7 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3

I kind of wish I had one in order to test how good it gets out.
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

KM4HQE Stan Gammons

I don't think the G7-144 I have receives as well as the X700. Seems like it's 3 - 5/8 waves and the X700 is 4 - 5/8 waves tall.  My QTH is not at as high an elevation as Paul though. Seems like the elevation here is around 580 ft. Would have to look at Google earth to confirm that.  Maybe when I get to felling more up to doing it, I can take the G7-144 down and take it over to Paul so he can test it out to see how well it performs versus the X700.  I've made a lot of progress in recovering from the cervical spine surgery, but I'm trying to ease back into doing things. Can't say as I want to go through that surgery again.  It's rather painful to say the least. I still have trouble from time to time with sleep. Having 3 fused vertebrae in my neck makes that a bit of a challenge :(

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 11/25/19 2:24 PM, WB0NOO Mark wrote:
I just noticed that the Hustler is 7 dBd and the Diamond X700 is 9.3 dBi.  Since dBd is 2.15 more than dBi they are specified only .15 different yet the Hustler is much shorter.  Then in another place the Hustler G7-144 is rated 9.15 dBi, who really knows?  Maybe just the Shadow!

Mark

On 11/23/2019 11:54 PM, K4PEW Paul Wieloszynski wrote:
See this Hustler 2m vertical that is half the cost of the X700 but has a 7 dbi gain vs the X700's 9.3

I kind of wish I had one in order to test how good it gets out.
--
Hope to hear you on the air!!

Paul
K4PEW
Mt. Juliet

W4EBX Eddie

Stan,
Hope you get well soon.Eddie

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, November 25, 2019, 10:37 PM, KM4HQE Stan Gammons <sg063015@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Eddie!

I'm getting there. Just a little slower than I had hoped.

73

Stan
KM4HQE

On 11/26/19 7:22 AM, W4EBX Eddie via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

It takes time,every day a little better