Re: Weather Balloon?

KI6WYN Bill

On the Amateur Radio Roundtable with Tom Medlin / W5KUB and Bill Brown / WB8ELK they often discuss balloon launches. Bill is from AL and is heavily into assisting people to learn more about launching and tracking their balloons. Track him down on YouTube.

On 5/26/2021 5:36 PM, KM4HQE Stan Gammons via groups.io wrote:
I've been meaning get "round to it" with the Raspberry Pi 4 I built some time ago. Since I'm recovering from recent back surgery (doing pretty well after surgery but having trouble sleeping and a few other problems); I decided to mess with the Raspberry Pi 4 some. I installed Direwolf and Xastir on the Pi 4 and connected my FT-8900R to the Pi 4 with a USB sound card which is connected to the 1200 baud data out pin on the FT-8900R data jack. Today I was looking at the decodes on 144.390 Mhz and saw what I guess is a weather balloon?  If so, it seems like it would have a better description than "Original Balloon  to identify what it is.  Most of the info in the decoded data is obvious. Like the position, I take it the speed is the wind speed at the altitude of the balloon.  I guess course is the direction the balloon is moving.   What is StrTrk, 192, 9 and 1.45V?   I take it -33C and 7458Pa is the temperature and barometric pressure at the balloon altitude.

73

Stan
KM4HQE