Flooded coax connector advise

KK5S Carey

During the flash flooding last weekend some floating debris grabbed my coax (RG8X) and pulled all of the slack out of the cable submerging the lightening arrestor, and a foot or so of coax on both sides of it, near the base of the mast. When I checked the next day and unscrewed the connectors water poured out of the ends. So my question is how far back do I need to cut off the coax to install new connectors? How far will water wick up into the coax. Does anyone have any previous experience to offer a suggestion? I'm trying to keep from having to drop the mast to replace the entire length but at the same time I want to be sure to get past the moisture.

Carey
W4TFZ