From: MJSS@groups.io <MJSS@groups.io> On Behalf Of KO4KLC Michael
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 8:53 PM
To: MJSS@groups.io
Subject: Re: [MJSS] Three element quad for 2m

Dale,

The design I stole is basically this…….

at least as far as element length and spacing.  I did confirm some of the element calculations with a few of the online calculators that Stan referenced.  The were very close on element length, but a bit different on element spacing.  I went with the design above as it is specific for a 3 element quad.  The cubical quad calculators have closer spacing on the multiple directors.

As far as structure, it is built out of 1” PVC (schedule 20) for the boom and riser pole.  The element diagonals are 1/2” PVC (schedule 20) attached to 5/8” dowels about 4 inches in length that go through the 1” boom.  As it turns out, 5/8” wooden dowels from Lowes fit snugly into 1/2” PVC without the need for glue.  I suppose you could just drill the holes bigger and slide the 1/2” through, but the 1/2” PVC takes up more diameter.

If you are thinking of building one, email me and I’ll give you some tips on getting that sucker tuned properly and a few other pitfalls to know ahead of time.  It’s a fun Saturday project.

Mike

On Feb 12, 2021, at 5:38 PM, N4NYA Dale Hauskin <dalehauskin@...> wrote:

Any chance you can share where you got the plans for this or did you design it yourself?

73’s and regards,

Dale Hauskin MCSE, MCSA, MCP+ Internet

ARES Emergency Coordinator for Wilson County, Tennessee

N4NYA

615-545-0070

Wilson County EMA Amateur Operations Radio Group (W4EAO)

<image001.jpg><image002.png>