Topics

Results of 2nd song (Only The Lonely) "Can You Guess This Song" for 11/22/2020

Gary Rogers

Attached is the unstripped version of the song for those members who might want the full MIDI with title and credits.

The Title and Artist for the “Can You Guess This Song (Second Song)” this past week (11/22/2020) were:

“Only The Lonely”  Recorded by Roy Orbison (1960)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMShwAnph8k

Only the Lonely - Wikipedia

"Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)" is a 1960 song written by Roy Orbison and Joe Melson.  Orbison's recording of the song, produced by Fred Foster for Monument Records, was the first major hit for the singer. It was described by The New York Times as expressing "a clenched, driven urgency".  Released as a 45 rpm single by Monument Records in May 1960, "Only the Lonely" went to No. 2 on the United States Billboard pop music charts on 25 July 1960 (blocked by Brenda Lee's "I'm Sorry") and No. 14 on the Billboard R&B charts.  "Only the Lonely" reached Number One in the United Kingdom, a position it achieved on 20 October 1960, staying there for two weeks (out of a total of 24 weeks spent on the UK singles chart from 28 July 1960).  According to Orbison historian Marcel Riesco's research for "The Authorized Roy Orbison,"  personnel on the original recording included Orbison's drummer Larry Parks, plus Nashville's regulars, Floyd Cramer on piano, Bob Moore on bass, and Hank Garland and Harold Bradley on guitars, Joe Melson and the Anita Kerr Singers on backing vocals. Drummer Buddy Harman played on the rest of the songs on the session.

 I received 24 responses to this song of which 24 were correct.

I am including the Moderators because they have no idea in advance what song I am posting.

This song and artist were named correctly by the following members. They are listed in the order of the timestamp of when they were submitted.

1. Hayward Martin

2. Roy Collingwood

3. Bill Adams

4. Rejjie Bee

5. Karen Krettler

6. Dick Schmitt

7. Larry Worthy

8. Michael Borelli

9. John Wolfe

10. Sergio Ferreira

11. Wayne Knazek

12. Cedric Brown

13. Persist

14. Graham Ford

15. Adele Pace

16. Roly Wright

17. Geoffrey Carter

18. Malcolm Wilton

19. Frank Meerbach

20. Andy Allinger

21. Stacie Spenser

22. James Pitt-Payne

23. Bob Eldridge

24. Mary Wilkie

Thanks to all that participated.

I sincerely hope you have fun with "Guess This Song".

Gary