Part 1: Same midi file through different midi editors

Wayne (Reed) Knazek

Instruments used: upright acoustic bass, piano, strings, acoustic

guitar, voice and standard drum kit

What I did . . .

I took one midi file and played it using PowerTracks (PT)

using the default sound fonts.  I rendered it into a .wav file

(audio file) then converted the .wav into MP3 format.

Then I used the same midi, changing ZIP, nada in the midi

other than changing to PT’s better sound font option called

Coyote.  I rendered it into a .wav file (audio file) then

converted the .wav into MP3 format.

The difference is subtle. A bit more clarity. Acoustic guitar

is a bit better defined. And the track is a little louder. More

output than the default instruments.

Then, again using the same midi, I changed the sound fonts

to Timbres Of Heaven.  I rendered it into a .wav file (audio file)

then converted the .wav into MP3 format.

The difference is substantial! Over all clarity, and the

instruments sound much better! The track is also louder again.

More output with the TOH SFs.

No parameters, events or changes were made to the midi file

other than the sound fonts used. The track is full mono. There

were no edits/enhancements made to the .wav files. And the

midi file is 100% midi. No audio tracks.

I then opened the same midi file in Mixcraft. I used the same

instruments, made zero changes in EQ, or panning, etc. Still

mono. I rendered it into a .wav file (audio file) then converted
the .wav into MP3 format.

IMHO . . . the difference is even more noticeable going from

TOH to Mixcraft than it was going from Coyote to TOH! The

difference between Coyote and Mixcraft is much more obvious.

Also Mixcraft has more output. NOTE: I DID lower the volume

a bit for the Mixcraft snip!!! When I set the over all volume

so the Mixcraft snip was a good volume, I basically lost the

1st PT track. So I cut the Mixcraft volume back about 20%.

The graphic shows the wave files for each snip. You can see

how much bigger the Mixcraft wave is than the PT default track.

NOTE: Usually going from one DAW to another you would

expect to make at least subtle edits and changes, but for this

project I left everything identical.

I then opened the 4 .wav files in an audio editor. Made snips

of each audio track of just the intro and 1st verse.

I made 1 track, putting together the 4 short “intro/verse”

snips, then saved that as a new .wav, and converted it into

one MP3.

There is a short 2 second gap between each of the 4 samples.

They are in the order listed above: midi/default SF, midi/Coyote,

Midi/Timbres Of Heaven, Midi/Mixcraft

The last sample in Mixcraft plays the whole song.

Again, this is a literal “1 midi with no edits” sample of how the

midi sounds using different sound fonts and editors.

Part 2 will be similar, showing how you can improve the sound of

a midi using the RealBand audio library.

Enjoy!  Stay safe!!  Wayne