sticky MEFA Archives and History #admin #archive

Aranel Took

Edited

What can you do to help preserve MEFA history?
  • Keep your story links up-to-date at the MEFA Archive (#update), and report broken links on other stories (#broken). There is a sticky post for requesting updates and reporting broken links.
  • Archive your stories at a stable, long-term archive such as Archive of Our Own (AO3) and use that as your primary MEFA Archive link.
  • Help out with preservation efforts. Currently I need help with tracking down and archiving the award banners for each year of the MEFAs. If you would like to help out with this project, contact Aranel (post here or email me at araneltook@...).
    • I would like to use a standardized format for filenames, so if you are organizing banners you have found, please name them in the format of [Year]-[Type]-[Main Category]-[Subcategory/Description]-[image number]. Use hyphens to separate each section. Use Upper Camel Case instead of spaces, ampersands, and when replacing hyphens in words. Use an underscore before the image number. Type will be "AwardBanner" or "Nominee". So for the 2005 award for the Merry & Eowyn Cross-Cultural story award, a banner for that category is named "2005-AwardBanner-CrossCultural-MerryEowyn_01.jpg". (The other banners are '02' and '03').
    • I will make some folders in the Photos here at groups.io that can be used for collecting banners.
  • We have a Wiki here at groups.io, so if anyone has any ideas on how we could use it, please make suggestions! I was thinking of using it to make a backup to the results posted at MEFAwards.org, with a page for every year of the awards. If you would like to help with copying that info over, contact Aranel and we'll figure out a format for doing it.
  • Help with keeping the MEFA Fanlore Wiki entry up-to-date.

Ellynn

I made banners in 2010 and 2011. I still have all of them, I just have to find them in my archive.
#archive

Aranel Took

Hi Ellin!

Awesome!

Also, FYI, your post wasn't visible at first because new members are moderated. You should be approved and able to post freely now.

Ellynn

i think i am in some sort of mefa-nostalgic-period :)))

Ellynn

hey, did you get my e-mail concerning banners? i sent it yesterday evening (and it's evening now here)

Aranel Took

Yep, got it and replied. :-D

Aranel Took

I've created pages for the banners, displayed by year. It will be added to the live site with the next update (probably this week).

So far I have the Nomination banners from Ellyn from 2010, and the 2005 Nomination and Awards banners that had been stored on the Yahoo Group.

Ellynn

hey aranel, i have many more nomination banners from 2010 - i just didn't have the time to prepare and send all of them. ;)

then i'll send you winner banners for 2010, and then we'll go to 2011.

Aranel Took

Cool!

Could I ask a favor: when naming the files, could you also put an underscore after the year, so like “2010_Nominee_001.jpg”? Web servers can be unhappy about spaces in filenames.

For the awards banner, I was thinking using a format something like “YEAR_Award_CATEGORY_SUBCATEGORY_001.jpg”. If there’s a pairing as the category, it will need a hyphen rather than a slash, so like “Aragorn-Arwen”.

Thank you so much for doing these banners!

Ellynn

of course i'll add it! i simply didn't know about spaces/underscores and server happiness :)))
you will add underscore to the ones i sent you so far?

Aranel Took

Yep, I've edited the ones I already have. Thanks!

Ellynn

oh boy. i just opened my 2010 winners archive.
about 800 files.
84 categories. for each, there is a banner for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and HM.
hey, have i already told you that i was hyperactive in making banners that year?
from what i can tell by superficial look on file names, looks like i made 2-3 versions for each category (x 1st, 2nd, 3rd, HM).
800 files. all of them in psd, not jpg. i mean, i surely made jpgs back then. but for some reason, i kept only psds in my archive...
you'll give me weeks, right? :)))

p.s. there are no pairings in category names. *lol*

Aranel Took

Take all the time you need! :-D

Maybe a filename like YEAR_Awards_CATEGORY_SUBCATEGORY_PLACE_versionNumber, using 1, 2, 3, 4 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention.

(Oh, another suggestion: for multiple words in category names, I've been using "camel case" (Post-Quest = PostQuest, Elves in Later Ages = ElvesInLaterAges). But that one doesn't matter much, so if you've already used hyphens or underscores, don't worry about it. Not having spaces is most important.)

So, for multiple versions:
First version:
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_1_01.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_2_01.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_3_01.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_4_01.jpg

Second version:
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_1_02.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_2_02.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_3_02.jpg
2010_Awards_Hobbits_PostQuest_4_02.jpg

Then I'll be able to loop through and display the 1st/2nd/3rd/HM Hobbits: Post-Quest banners in version 1, then version 2, etc.

Thanks! :-)

Ellynn

i am at work now and my archive is at home. but yes, file names are something like "category_place(1st or 2nd or 3rd or HM)_01(or 02 or 03 for different versions)". i have underscores, not spaces. :) so i'll just have to add "2010_" in the beginning. ;)

Ellynn

hey aranel,
i sent more nominee banners, reviewer banners, and some of the winner banners. can you please confirm what you received? i would really like to be sure that the messages are not lost. ;)

Aranel Took

I received 11 emails yesterday and 11 on Sunday. BTW, I tried to reply to one of them and it bounced.

Ellynn

i don't understand why. :/ btw, when you replied a few days ago, i received it without problems.
i'm not sure if i'll be able to make any banner today - it's a busy day.
how about we inform each other here about work done, if there are problems with mail?

Aranel Took

Sure, that will work.

I've been working on getting the Author Reviews from 2004-2006 added, and once I'm done with that, I will add the new banners. I should be able to upload all the updates to the live site in a day or two.

Ellynn

sent today: 5 categories + the missing banner from 2 days ago. ;)

Aranel Took

The banner pages are now on the live website.