Luxembourg

Mike Terry

LUX 234 was switched off 13/03 /2022 at exactly 00:00 h CET! another night without RTLs programme.
Are there construction works going on or is this the beginning of the slow end of this historic transmitter?
I haven`t read about it on Radio 1 medienmagazin about this.
[Anybody knows what’s going on with the 234 kHz LW transmitter in LUX? / Ed]

Horst P, Germany (2022-03-13)

https://mediumwave.info/news/

Mike Terry

In reply Mike Usher advises on Facebook:
It's back on now. Looks like same power level as normal. MW List now states is broadcast times as 04-23 UTC.

Alan Pennington

I sent an email to RTL expressing disappointment that their LW 234 kHz transmitter was now closing overnight (so I was missing some of Georges Lang's programmes).

In reply, their audience relations apologised for the inconvenience and said:

"En effet la diffusion des Grandes Ondes est temporairement suspendue entre 01h et 5h."

 translated: "Indeed, the broadcast of the Long Waves is temporarily suspended between 01 a.m. and 5 a.m."

Checking last night, 234 kHz does now go off air at 0100 French time (midnight in the UK) so it stays on air 1 hour longer than a week or so ago.

So it now is currently off air for just 4 hours it seems (not 5): 01-05 CEST (= 0000-0400 BST or 2300-0300 UTC)

73, Alan
Caversham, UK

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 08:13 AM, Mike Terry wrote:

LUX 234 was switched off 13/03 /2022 at exactly 00:00 h CET! another night without RTLs programme.
Are there construction works going on or is this the beginning of the slow end of this historic transmitter?
I haven`t read about it on Radio 1 medienmagazin about this.
[Anybody knows what’s going on with the 234 kHz LW transmitter in LUX? / Ed]

Horst P, Germany (2022-03-13)

https://mediumwave.info/news/

Mike Terry

Christian Ghibaudo wrote on the BDXC.io group on 27 March 2022:

Indeed, in order to reduce the energy bill, night broadcasting (when there are fewer listeners) is suspended.

Following the surge in energy prices, BCE increased the rental price of transmitters. RTL/M6 doesn't want to pay more, so the only option was to decrease airtime.

A reminder the Luxembourg transmitter on 234 kHz does NOT belong to RTL but to BCE Luxembourg.

Michel FREMY

LUXEMBOURG  RTL France” on 234 kHz in Beidweiller.
More mixed speech of RTL on the stop of the long waves. The station recognizes that “The audience of RTL via the long waves is still important”. To this day, no more stop date exists. We are even talking about 10 years, 5 years or 3 years!
The station will, however, continue to suspend its broadcast between 12:30 a.m. or 1 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. or 5 a.m. During this time slot, the station rebroadcasts programs of the day.
The station accuses the genes of reception "following the jamming caused by computer screens and any other equipment"!
She also claims that the transmitter settings have not been changed, while the power has been reduced by five, compared to the glory days.
Michel FREMY
https://www.media-radio.info
https://www.facebook.com/Radiosdumonde/