We are pleased to have you as a member of the LeoniaTalks Listserv.
This is a long-ish document that details the specifics of our “Rules of the Road.” You’ll notice they’re mostly common sense: “be nice.” “Be neighborly.” For the sake of clarity, we’ll outline them in detail below. But if you remember one thing, it’s this: treat everyone on this Listserv as you’d like to be treated, and as you’d treat them if you met them on the street and were having a chat with them.
What we’ll cover in this document: Eligibility for membership, legal considerations, rules about posting, civility, and do’s and don’ts. If this is your first time reading this document, we suggest taking a moment to read through. If you’ve seen it before, feel free to skip to the section of interest to refresh your recollection about our rules. It’s just been updated, so you may see something new.
You can also refer to this regularly if you have a concern you’d like to share with the moderators. And feel free to suggest updates or clarifications.
As you participate in the Listerv, please observe the following Rules of the Road:
1. Eligibility for membership: Anyone over 16 who lives and/or works in Leonia is eligible to become a member.
2. Legal considerations: The moderators, the board, and the membership of the LeoniaTalks are not responsible for the content of messages posted on this message board or for anything arising out of the use of the board or other interaction among users. While we may delete posts and block or take other action against users who we determine at our discretion have violated our rules, we cannot always do so.
3. Rules about Posting:
Anonymous posts are not permitted. Be sure to include your full name and street name or “Leonia, NJ” on each post. This is a low-tech but effective way of preventing spam messages. Members who fail to provide this information will be reminded privately to do so. Do not include the text of the posts to which you are responding. If you feel a part of the previous post is required for context, cut and paste a portion into the new post.
Content: In addition to addressing pertinent issues, you are free to make community announcements, post a garage sale, recommend tradesmen and ask for recommendations, offer how-to suggestions, in short, almost anything that would make life easier for Leonians. Postings promoting Leonia-based businesses or small business enterprises run by Leonians, while permissible, must be restricted to one per month.
Surrogate Posting: You can post on behalf of a nonmember, particularly regarding an event or service, but please do not post surrogate messages that pertain to a dispute between the person you are posting for and another member. Check the content of any message you are asked to post to be certain it is respectful of other members. Make sure the message contains the email address of the non-members and, as usual, your name, and “Leonia, NJ.”
Number of posts: Members may post a maximum of three posts a day.
Civility. We ask that all members stress civility in their posts. Strive to be respectful of other members. Here’s where that “do unto others” rule comes into play.
Keep these do's and don'ts in mind:
- Use profanity and abusive language.
- Belittle, insult or denigrate another poster.
- Post a private email from someone (even a public official) without first obtaining permission.
- Call another poster a liar directly or by implication.
- Impugn another poster's motives or suggest ulterior motives.
- Spread rumor and innuendo.
- Become argumentative or inflame the conversation.
- Threaten legal action, boycott, or physical harm.
- Forward chain e-mails.
- Post more than three times a day.
- Most importantly, DO have fun, share things that add to our community, be creative, express ideas, invite people to events and otherwise foster community and dialogue.
- Be sure to keep your post at a level of civility that would make it an acceptable letter to the editor in a respectable newspaper (for helpful guidelines see http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/letter-to-the-editor-guidelines).
- Remember that you have the alternative of responding to a particular person privately, rather than posting to the entire list.
Moderator response to inappropriate or uncivil posts - A number of successive steps, increasing in severity, may be put into place. These steps are:
- For first-time offenses, a warning and possible moderation, which means messages will be read by the moderators before they are posted. (This may result in a short delay between the time the message is sent and its posting). Moderators may go directly to step two in cases of egregious violations.
- For a second offense, or a particularly egregious first-time offense, the action taken is usually a restriction on posting for five days, each successive violation leading to a doubling of days on restricted posting status.
- For posts containing language that is abusive or threatening, as so deemed by the moderators, or for continuous violation of the rules the result may be a member being banned from the Listserv.
The Rules of the Road were created to ensure smooth operation of the listserv and to encourage members to post. We have a broad base of wonderful people who will be delighted to hear from you. Once again, we are glad you are here.
For further information, contact: LeoniaTalksfirstname.lastname@example.org or see our Frequently Asked Questions.
"Remember, be civil, be respectful, that’s the neighborly way. "
The LeoniaTalks Listserv Board:
Mary Ellen Tucker