Topics

Zoom meeting was a success

D. M. VARIANvS

Good start

Sure, there were 5 of us, but kudos to Josh for setting it up. Rob was not able to make it due to hardware difficulties. I think we should plan on these monthly, maybe bi-monthly As we use this format, uit will get easier.

James in hospital

Please pray and make sacrifice for Josh's dad, James -- a hearty member of our group who is in the hospital for gall bladder surgery.

Footwear

As most of us detest caligae for hurting our feet, whynot get an enclosed shoe? I am posting the link to some of the following:

vindolanda fell boot by Masterbogdan

<https://www.etsy.com/listing/778764472/vindolanda-fell-boot-calcei?ref=shop_home_active_9&frs=1>

These are the ones Mark said were good. He has this pair also, but I am not sure of the correctness for our time:

Castleford No 13 Roman shoes ( Soldier shoes) Shoes of Roman soldiers of the 1st century AD. Reconstruction based on finds.

<https://www.etsy.com/listing/857982761/castleford-no-13-roman-shoes-soldier?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1>

These look interesting and good, but I'd ask Mark, he might see something incorrect.

And HERE: is an interesting kit. I know, rubber soles, etc. but someone is thinking ahead. <https://www.etsy.com/listing/729483507/calceus-roman-boot-turnshoe-kit-for-men?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=roman+shoes&ref=sr_gallery-1-11&frs=1>

--
photo
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS

Rob Zienta

The pattern on ETSY was interesting, I have seen some similar among some found at Vindolanda, but I believe they were identified as "civilian". Use the rubber soles as a pattern for leather ones. The rubber could be used as a insole to help make them more comfortable. Just sayin . . . .:)

Rob

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM D. M. VARIANvS <varianus@...> wrote:

[...]

First pair of calcei are OK; style is similar of pics of original finds. The second  pair seems a design much later than what we would have worn. The price is excellent for the first pair. I bought some from this guy and I have been very happy with them.

Best regards,
Rob

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 3:19 PM Rob Zienta via groups.io <rzienta30=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Paul Turner

So number 13 Roman boots are good, sorry I could not make meeting was hunting mighty whitetail

Sent using the free mail.com iPhone App

From: "Rob Zienta" <rzienta30@...>
Date: November 9, 2020
To: Legio-IX-Hispana@groups.io
Subject: Re: [Legio-IX-Hispana] Zoom meeting was a success
[...]

Mark said the Fell boots were okay, but he said the ones like you bought (and Paul bought) were only for officers. I dunno, he won't really respond about footwear.

On 11/9/2020 3:32 PM, Rob Zienta wrote:
[...]

I absolutely wouldn't buy the 13's without asking Mark, you know how he was about your other Calcei.

From: "Rob Zienta" <rzienta30@...>
Date: November 9, 2020
To: Legio-IX-Hispana@groups.io
[...]

I absolutely wouldn't buy the 13's without asking Mark, you know how he was about your other Calcei. You have got to be able to reach him first!