Unknown industrial locos

John Browning

This photo is a gem.

It shows two Malcolm Moore 3ft gauge 0-4-0DM locos built in 1949 for
the Kiewa Scheme of the Victorian State Electricity Commission. This
was a hydro-electric scheme in north-eastern Victoria.

The locos look fresh and newly arrived on site, not as if they had
been working hard on a tunnelling scheme, and the Snowy Moutains
Scheme looks likely. My interpretation of the vegetation is that it is
not north Queensland, so one other (but unlikely) possibility can be
dismissed.

In 1960-1, two such locos were advertised for sale in Sydney by brokers
Transport & Industrial Index (Aust.) Pty Ltd.

In 1963, these were acquired by Thiess Brothers, for a Snowy Mountains
Scheme contract. I believe this was for the Snowy-Geehi Tunnel (Geehi
Section) - 1962-6 (8.8 km). As Thiess seem to have had both 3ft and
3ft 6ins equipment in use, it is not completely clear how the work was
organised and there may have been smaller separate tunnelling sections.

The two locos converned were builder's numbers 23 & 27.

Can anyone confirm that it is the Thiess logo displayed below the
bulder's plates.

Any more details would be gratefully received, as would the posting of
any similar mystery phtographs.

Thanks, Trevor, for this one.

John

John Browning
Rockhampton

Steamfreak <steamfreak@...>

Hi John,

Thanks for the extensive information. I have since scanned more slides from
that box, and these include:
- Murray 1 Power Station under construction - view from the present day
lookout opposite the power station
- A view looking down the pipeline site towards the power station

This second slide would have been taken from the adit of the Snowy Geehi
Tunnel so it is quite possible that the pic of the locos was taken at the
same place. The slides are all dated October 1963. So your info would be
right on the money.

Cheers,
Trevor.

[...]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors
of LRRSA publications for use in those publications,
including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the
members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those
of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily
conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA
Council of Management"

Yahoo! Groups Links

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Browning" <ceo8@i...> wrote:

This photo is a gem.

Can anyone confirm that it is the Thiess logo displayed below the
bulder's plates.?

John

John Browning
Rockhampton

A State Electricity Commission photo on the Museum of Victoria
website shows two identical locomotives in the SECV Central
Metropolitan Store at Brooklyn – no date, but both looking very clean.
See: http://flyaqis.museum.vic.gov.au/paimages/mm/957/9577.htm

Re John 's query as to whether the colourful logo under the builders
plate is Theiss's logo – I suspect yes. Compare with National
Archives photo at -
http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/PhotoSearchItemDetail.asp?
M=0&B=6849060

for similar loco at a Snowy Mountains work's site with a caption that
idicates it is a Theiss operation. Note logo on back of loco cab.
Looks the same to me – seems to be a map of Australia with something
upon it.

cheers Phil