Topics

Tweed tramways

Petan

Trove from 1919 notes CSR Condong sugar mill had an agreement with farmers for a right of way over the land for certain purposes for 99 years. That means if the 1974 closed tramway had in fact continued to the present day, then 99 years would have expired, as the article also notes Cudgen farmers first CSR year was 1913.  Regardless of what they take as the first year, 99 years after the newspaper date of 1919 would expire next year. Wonder if any other CSR mills, eg in QLD, had a similar 99 year tramway clause? A lawyer might ask if that clause extended to any mills sold by CSR and still having a tramway? http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/192250669

Cheers

Peter Cokley

John Browning

I think it is the case that in relation to any expiring leases for cane railway purposes, more recent Queensland legislation will protect the continuance of the present use for cane transport. I don’t know any details, though.

John