Topics

Sugar mill modelling

AASewell@...

Hi 

I recently joined the LRRSA group but have been a LRRSA member for a number of years.  

As a British rail fan I find the current and historical scene of equal interest. My interests are largely in industrial style railroading which I have photographed on and off since the mid 1960's both here in the UK and abroad. One area which  has always particularly interested me has been the railways of the sugar industry. We have friends who emigrated to Queensland in 2007 and I have manged a couple of trips to photograph some of the mills on visits to them. Have also been able to see railways in Cuba, South Africa, Dominican Republic and in Florida. I am also a railway modeller and would like to build a diorama based around a sugar mill  narrow gauge in 00/H0 scale. I realise that I would need more space than I have available so decided on portraying the loco shed and bulk sugar/molasses handling. However  while I have a number of photographs and books none seem to show this. I just wondered if members had any such photographs or track plans which they could share with me as an aid in  my project. I would of course pay any expenses

Thanks in advance

Alan Sewell
Hertford SG14 3DR
UK

Greg Stephenson

G’day

Try searching for Lynn Zelmer’s

> CaneSIG Web site

There’s a section on:

Modelling Cane Railway Basics

There’s a series of articles by Jim Hutchinson on Modelling cane railway loco sheds and lots of other useful stuff!

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> on behalf of AASewell via Groups.Io <AASewell@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 9:18:18 PM
To: LRRSA@groups.io
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Sugar mill modelling

Hi 

I recently joined the LRRSA group but have been a LRRSA member for a number of years.  

As a British rail fan I find the current and historical scene of equal interest. My interests are largely in industrial style railroading which I have photographed on and off since the mid 1960's both here in the UK and abroad. One area which  has always particularly interested me has been the railways of the sugar industry. We have friends who emigrated to Queensland in 2007 and I have manged a couple of trips to photograph some of the mills on visits to them. Have also been able to see railways in Cuba, South Africa, Dominican Republic and in Florida. I am also a railway modeller and would like to build a diorama based around a sugar mill  narrow gauge in 00/H0 scale. I realise that I would need more space than I have available so decided on portraying the loco shed and bulk sugar/molasses handling. However  while I have a number of photographs and books none seem to show this. I just wondered if members had any such photographs or track plans which they could share with me as an aid in  my project. I would of course pay any expenses

Thanks in advance

Alan Sewell
Hertford SG14 3DR
UK

Ian Bevege

Alan and Greg

Here is the Zelmer reference.
Ian B

Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 9:41 PM

G’day

> CaneSIG Web site

There’s a section on:

There’s a series of articles by Jim Hutchinson on Modelling cane railway loco sheds and lots of other useful stuff!

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> on behalf of AASewell via Groups.Io <AASewell@...>

Hi 

Thanks in advance

Alan Sewell
Hertford SG14 3DR
UK

AASewell@...

Hi  

Thanks Greg and Ian for the swift feedback 

I used to be signed up to Lyn Zelmer's Cane SIG  but was not sure if it was still active as have seen nothing for quite a while. It it still operating? However there was much interesting on it and I used some of the information for my visit to Queensland in late 2008.

The loco shed material is very good and I will probably use some of this but again not too much on the bulk sugar loading. . Will have to consult Google Earth to see what I can see on the Herbert valley mills.

Thanks again

Best regards

Alan
Hertford UK

-----Original Message-----
To: LRRSA <LRRSA@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 13:37

Alan and Greg

Here is the Zelmer reference.
Ian B

Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2019 9:41 PM

G’day

> CaneSIG Web site

There’s a section on:

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS

Hi 

Thanks in advance

Alan Sewell
Hertford SG14 3DR
UK

A C Lynn Zelmer

Hello Alan

Yes, CaneSIG is still very much still operating although I agree that many parts of the site haven't been recently updated... perhaps I should "upgrade" to a content management system that puts the current date at the bottom of each page displayed to suggest that the site is being constantly updated...
   :-)

There are certainly images of bulk sugar wagons and the like in the image collection, and there should be photos of both Moreton and Fairymead mills' molasses facilities, as well as QR molasses wagons in the Proserpine and Mackay areas. For example, I get 31 matches using molasses as a search term and 32 matches using bulk sugar as the search term.

I'm fairly sure that there are also photos of the various bulk sugar stores (warehouses) in Lautoka -- I took them but cannot find them in a quick search. Let me know direct if you are interested and I'll search further.

There are also a couple of mill maps, the easiest to find is Victoria Mill in one of the Cane Tram Notes. Use the Victoria Mill link at the bottom of https://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig/resources/resource-01.html. Other are in some of my Narrow Gauge Down Under articles.

There are over 14,000 images in the image collection and I haven't been able to fix all the 404 File not found errors resulting from a change of ISPs a couple of years ago. The new Linux file server is very picky about an exact case match. If you get a 404 message try changing the case of the image filename (eg gs_4603.JPG to gs_4603.jpg, etc.).

Finally, my QldRailHeritage.com web site is being shut down but both CaneSIG and the Modelling the Railways of Queensland Convention materials will continue as part of zelmeroz.com.

Best wishes, Lynn

On 21/4/19 5:29 am, AASewell via Groups.Io wrote:
I used to be signed up to Lyn Zelmer's Cane SIG  but was not sure if it was still active as have seen nothing for quite a while. It it still operating?
-- 
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

AASewell@...

Hi Lynn

Thanks for this 

Glad the SIG is still operating. I will have to look more frequently. Seems as if there will be much information there I can use 

Will e-mail you about the Fiji bulk stores 

Best regards

Alan 

-----Original Message-----
To: LRRSA <LRRSA@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 11:18

Hello Alan

Yes, CaneSIG is still very much still operating although I agree that many parts of the site haven't been recently updated... perhaps I should "upgrade" to a content management system that puts the current date at the bottom of each page displayed to suggest that the site is being constantly updated...

There are certainly images of bulk sugar wagons and the like in the image collection, and there should be photos of both Moreton and Fairymead mills' molasses facilities, as well as QR molasses wagons in the Proserpine and Mackay areas. For example, I get 31 matches using molasses as a search term and 32 matches using bulk sugar as the search term.

I'm fairly sure that there are also photos of the various bulk sugar stores (warehouses) in Lautoka -- I took them but cannot find them in a quick search. Let me know direct if you are interested and I'll search further.

There are also a couple of mill maps, the easiest to find is Victoria Mill in one of the Cane Tram Notes. Use the Victoria Mill link at the bottom of https://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig/resources/resource-01.html. Other are in some of my Narrow Gauge Down Under articles.

There are over 14,000 images in the image collection and I haven't been able to fix all the 404 File not found errors resulting from a change of ISPs a couple of years ago. The new Linux file server is very picky about an exact case match. If you get a 404 message try changing the case of the image filename (eg gs_4603.JPG to gs_4603.jpg, etc.).

Finally, my QldRailHeritage.com web site is being shut down but both CaneSIG and the Modelling the Railways of Queensland Convention materials will continue as part of zelmeroz.com.

Best wishes, Lynn

I used to be signed up to Lyn Zelmer's Cane SIG  but was not sure if it was still active as have seen nothing for quite a while. It it still operating?
-- 
Lynn Zelmer

PH

Hello,

Have any of you chaps heard of Gairloch sugar mill?

Apparently there was an aerial ropeway supplied by Bleichert used to cross the river with cane before the bridge was built. It was erected across the Herbert River in 1883.

Regards

Philip Hammon

190 Cliff Drive

Katoomba 2780

+61247829139

Phantom falls stitched sat adj

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> On Behalf Of A C Lynn Zelmer via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, 22 April 2019 8:18 PM

Hello Alan

Best wishes, Lynn

-- 
Lynn Zelmer