Topics

Strange Loco at Cockatoo Island

Iain

Last year when I was working on the Cockatoo Island CMP with Tony Brassil at
Godden Mackay Logan we came across a photo that shows what seems to be an
electric locomotive pushing some hoppers. It is obviously some form of
official photo and is possibly dated to 1907 (i.e. the era when the PWD had
control of the Dockyard). However as Cockatoo Island didn’t have an electric
rail network this may have been some sort of test rig.

We are both still curious about it and would welcome some advice. You can
see an image at HYPERLINK "http://www.jcis.net.au"www.jcis.net.au and click
on the “whats this page” and then click on the image.

Yours truly,

Dr Iain Stuart

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North,

NSW 2124

ph/fx (02) 97010191

HYPERLINK "mailto:iain_stuart@..."iain_stuart@...

HYPERLINK "mailto:iain@..."iain@....

The Bickfords <womloc4@...>

Iain,

That photo also appears in the recent book 'Cockatoo Island' by John Jeremy, available from UNSW PRESS

Issue 88 of Light Railways has a letter about the electric railway on Cockatoo Island, complete with the same photo.
The letter refers to another book 'Cockatoo Island' by RG Parker, published by Thomas Nelson in 1977, which contains a map of the railway, on page 24

cheers,
Mike Bickford

[...]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"

Yahoo! Groups Links