From: LRRSA@groups.io [mailto:LRRSA@groups.io] On Behalf Of John Dennis
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2021 12:01
To: LRRSA@groups.io
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Sri Lanka narrow gauge

It cost me $109.44 to pay online, from my desk, by International Bank Transfer. (Probably could have done it on my phone, sitting on the couch). Will cost more if you go to a bank branch.

John

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 11:17, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
On my first visit to Sri Lanka, I travelled on the surviving portion of the 762 mm gauge.
On my second trip, the line had been converted to bg, but some equipment had been retained in working order, and could steam over a short section at the workshops.
AFAIK PBR investigated importing one of the two Sentinel steam railmotors.
Workshops operation has ceased; there is a trust in UK aiming to obtain them.

I was headhunted to supply photos for the book 'Narrow gauge railways of Ceylon'.
It is limited edition, 500 copies.  My experience here is that that covers the likely sales anyhow.
I was intending to contact our online bookshop with a view to placing an on-spec order, or to collating orders into one batch for economy with bank fees and delivery.
That won't work.  The self-published author isn't supplying bulk: partly the quantity printed; mainly the way the Sri Lankan post office works.
Single orders only.
USD50 for the book, plus USD22.50 for international registered postage.
Sri Lanka bans Paypal.  Anyone interested will have to email the author, and get the bsb details.
I will be ordering a copy, and not just because I have a few photos in it.
It is a comprehensive work, not just a coffee-table pictorial.
There is very little published about Sri Lanka (Thailand is in a similar category).

Enclosed is the brochure, which omitted the contact address. rasikabookz@...
I have a 3 MB jpg of a book review, which I have to convert to pdf or put through ocr to post.  I'll do that separately, and probably not today.

If we have any social time around Thursday's meeting, I can answer any questions.

Roderick Smith

John Dennis

Does using wise impose any fees on the recipient?

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 13:22, Stephen Cox <scox@...> wrote:
There is a company now called Wise (formerly Transferwise) at www.wise.com that offers international bank transfers on line at very competitive rates, certainly much better than the big banks in Australia.  I just checked and they would have sent US$72.50 to Sri Lanka for AU$99.95 all up today.  I haven't used them recently but have found them to be very good when I have used them.

Cheers,

Stephen Cox

[...]

I just checked their web site.  It appears if you send US$ that uses the SWIFT system and there may be local charges at the recipients end.  If you send LKR doesn't appear to be.

Cheers,

Stephen Cox

[...]

The account is in US dollars.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 at 13:48, Stephen Cox <scox@...> wrote:
[...]

If the account is in Sri Lanka, then Wise will have to use the SWIFT system to transfer the money.  In that case, the local bank may impose a charge.  The recipient would have to check this out with his bank.

[...]

Mark Hambly

Gents,

I successfully used Wise yesterday to send USD via Swift from UK to the author’s USD denominated account at his bank in Sri Lanka.

Wise offers a facility whereby if the sender pays a modest extra amount the recipient is guaranteed to receive the full amount sent without any fee attrition en-route.

Incidentally the author was offering purchasers the option to select a particular numbered copy from the print run of 500, and to have him sign it.

Mark

Mark Hambly

Quick Update:

Funds landed with the recipient in Sri Lanka about six days after sending from UK via Wise.

My book was posted in Sri Lanka last Saturday (23rd October) and has just arrived in middle England (knock on the door from Parcel Force at 7am on Friday 29th October), which by my reckoning is pretty good service all round.

Not yet looked at it!

Best regards,

Mark

Rod Hutchinson

I eas able to transfer funds to Sri Lanka via my banks app using Swift Codes.  Very easy and quick.
Book arrived this morning.

Rod Hutchinson.