Topics

Speed Limit 20 Plus

Frank Stamford

"Speed Limit 20 Plus" published by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society is now available from the LRRSA's Online Shop: http://lightrailwayresearchsocietyofaustralia.cart.net.au/

I have now had the opportunity to compare it to the original "Speed Limit 20" published in 1963 which commanded prices sometimes exceeding $400 on the second-hand book market. The reason it was so sought-after was that it contains a vast amount of information, with very few errors, in a very compact well laid out format.

The new version very closely follows the original in terms of page size, content, layout, and illustrations. In terms of quality the new version is superior to the old in every respect: the printing, the paper, the binding, and the photographic reproduction. Much more care has been taken with the cropping of locomotive and rolling stock photographs than was the case in the original version.

The photographs are reproduced better, in some cases startlingly so, like the photograph of Walhalla on page 114. Eleven of the original photographs have been replaced by different photographs illustrating similar content. In all but one case the replacement photographs are superior or more interesting than those they have replaced.

Some corrections have been made to the original text, but these changes have not been identified by the publishers - so I went hunting for them. Those I found were: delivery dates of locomotives p.14; location of air pump on early NA class locomotives p.16; livery of early NAs p.16; Wangaratta - Whitfield station histories p.39. After page 39 I did not find any changes.

The original book ended at page 130 and no attempt has been made to update it to cover subsequent events. It describes the situation as it existed in 1963.
However, pages 133 to 164 are all new and describe subsequent events relating to all five VR 2 ft 6 in gauge lines, including details of locomotives and rolling stock currently on the Gembrook and Walhalla lines, and what remains of the other three lines. Twenty-six new photographs are included in this section.
Contrary to information contained in some of the advertising of this book, it does not contain an index. But because of the structure and layout it is not too difficult to find information quickly.

The price is $49.95 plus postage, with 10% discount to LRRSA members. I expect it may sell out quickly.

David in Avenel

Upon reading this glowing report/review I immediately went the shop and it instructed me to log-in or I couldn't buy anything.  Fair enough.    When I went to log in it said that it would be over an insecure connection and I am reluctant to log in over an insecure connection.

Please advise.

--
best wishes,
David in Avenel.au

John Dennis

I've never noticed that before David, and nobody else has raised this.  Once you are logged in everything thereafter is secured. The page you are taken to is a secure page, but whether you login details would be exposed, I don't know. I shall investigate.

John

On 27 November 2017 at 16:28, espee8800 espee8800@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Upon reading this glowing report/review I immediately went the shop and it instructed me to log-in or I couldn't buy anything.  Fair enough.    When I went to log in it said that it would be over an insecure connection and I am reluctant to log in over an insecure connection.

Please advise.

--
best wishes,
David in Avenel.au
{Before you change anything, learn why it is the way it is.)

Karen & Paul

John,

I too have just ordered the book and I also had the message unsecure connection.

So at least 2 of us have experienced this

Paul Dove

I've never noticed that before David, and nobody else has raised this.  Once you are logged in everything thereafter is secured. The page you are taken to is a secure page, but whether you login details would be exposed, I don't know. I shall investigate.

John

On 27 November 2017 at 16:28, espee8800 espee8800@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Upon reading this glowing report/review I immediately went the shop and it instructed me to log-in or I couldn't buy anything.  Fair enough.    When I went to log in it said that it would be over an insecure connection and I am reluctant to log in over an insecure connection.

Please advise.

--

best wishes,
David in Avenel.au
{Before you change anything, learn why it is the way it is.)

Iain

Its common on everything though and doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem. I recall it was a Firefox browser problem which typically their support blamed on everyone’s anti-virus. Whether it is a real world problem is another question. My view is that it isn’t.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

John Dennis

All,

I have done some research and asked a couple of knowledgeable friends. Chrome and Firefox (and possibly others) automatically display "Insecure Connection" if a web page includes the word "password" (or something like "enter your credit card details") and the connection is not secured - which means no encrypted.

That means the mythical "man in the middle" could indeed collect your email and password, but what could he do with that? Buy books on your account, but how can he pay for them? You still need to enter credentials when paying. Every other page, after logging in, are indeed properly secured.

I'm not certain whether the host of the online shop is able to install a security certificate from the society, which would, in any case, be just for this first page.

John Dennis
LRRSA Sales Officer

On 30 November 2017 at 09:48, 'Iain Stuart' iain_stuart@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Its common on everything though and doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem. I recall it was a Firefox browser problem which typically their support blamed on everyone’s anti-virus. Whether it is a real world problem is another question. My view is that it isn’t.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

John Dennis

Back again,

The online shop has been modified. The sign in and password boxes have been removed, and there is now a "Sign In" link on the top menu line. Clicking on this link will open a new page allowing sign in details.

In addition, the shopping cart has been removed from the right hand side of the screen, and a link also appears on the top line. The result of this is that the right hand section of the shop has been deleted.

I am investigating adding the "Featured Products" across the bottom of the page, but that change has not been made.

The result of this is that logging in to the shop will be across a secure connection.

John

On 30 November 2017 at 15:03, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:
[...]

That is  very good change to the Shop, I think.

The first page looks much less cluttered, and the link to the sign on screen is almost the first thing you see.