Topics

South Channel Fort

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

Thanks David,

I'm guessing the tramway only went from the jetty (or both jetties -
there was also originally one at the other end of the island from the
present jetty)to the coal store, next to the boiler room.
I gather there are sleeper remains.

For the non-Victorian readers, South Channel Fort was built on a
man-made island at the southern end of Port Phillip in the 1880's to
frighten the Russians away. It must have worked as they never
attacked. Certainly not a very long tramway, but a most unusual and
historic location I think.

Happy sailing,(and railing)

cheers Phil

Readers may wish to see the recently released South Channel Fort
Management Conservation Plan, Part 1 at,
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1ministory.cfm?story=180

--- In LRRSA@..., "David R Axup" <daxup@b...> wrote:

Phil,

I should be in the vicinity of the South Channel Fort sometime this
summer. I have made a note to stick at the nav station on my boat and
will have a look on the fort for you and take some photos. I remember
the fort well as we used to go ashore on it frequently as kids and
occasionally as we grew up

Cheers,

David Roy Axup