Topics

Scarborough, Queensland

Greg Stephenson

G’day all
It’s Christmas Eve and I remember that growing up at Redcliffe in Queensland in the 1960’s and 1970’s that as a child we’d always go the Funfair at Scarborough on Christmas Eve to wear us out to make us sleep! It was located opposite the foreshore camping area where various uncles, aunts and cousins would spend the summer holidays.
As well as mini golf and air pistols, I recall a train ride on a circular track. From memory the locomotive was petrol powered given the noise it made! At a guess it was probably 12” to 15” gauge. 🤔 Apart from knowing it existed I have no other knowledge and don’t recall ever riding the train. I seem to recall the whole place was operated by the Catholic Parish for the benefit of De La Salle College.
The site was redeveloped into a unit block.
I wondered if anybody might have an ideas on the venture and train.

There was also another amusement train ride at Redcliffe on the foreshore at the end of ANZAC Ave. But I recall this being a circular track of smaller diameter.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Michael C.

Season's greetings from the Formerly United Kingdom.

Just as an aside, we have a Scarborough in the UK too and it has a miniature railway!

https://nbr.org.uk/

It's unusual as it is 20" gauge.

https://nbr.org.uk/heritagerailway/

I have an album of images on Flickr. Take a look if you're interested.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/55958391@N07/83f7j3

Since I visited they've had a steam locomotive constructed.

Best wishes for Christmas and here's to a better 2021!

Michael Chapman

From: Greg Stephenson <LRRSA@groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 24 December 2020
Subject: [LRRSA] Scarborough, Queensland
To: LRRSA <LRRSA@groups.io>

[...]

John Browning

The train ride described by Greg appears to be the successor to the one that operated at Redcliffe from 1944. This was in the amusement complex known as "Luna Park" and was at Sutton's Beach. It was established by the Redcliffe Town Council who leased the rights to operate it to Wirth & Scott, who included a small railway circuit. It has been pointed out that Redcliffe would have been a magnet for US troops on R&R towards the end of the Pacific war. In 1950, Luna Park was taken over by the entrepreneurial Catholic priest Bart Frawley of St Bernadette’s Parish, and used as a fundraiser, particularly for Catholic school development. The locomotive was a loosely steam-outlined petrol powered machine.

As the town of Redcliffe developed as a residential centre and the tourists moved north to the area around Scarborough, it appears that the decision was taken to relocate the amusement area in 1966. Some of the attractions became part of what was known locally as "Father Frawley's Fun Fair" at Scarborough, which incidentally was the centre of the priest's church and school endeavours. It was here that Greg enjoyed visiting during the later 1960s. It seems that the Fun Fair closed in the early 1970s.

There were quite a few such trains of around 2ft gauge which appear to have operated in amusement parks and drive-in theatres in the period between 1945 and 1970 and only a few have been documented, so thanks to Greg for providing information on this one.

John

Grant Maloney

Hi very interesting. I am seeking any information on the carribean gardens train  and one which used to run at Whistle stop amusement park  in Frankston. Both in Victoria.
Any info would be great.
Thanks Grant

[...]

Apologies to Jim for not mentioning his book and acknowledging his fine work in recording details of a variety of amusement lines.
But I don't believe either of us were aware before of the Father Frawley's Fun Fair line.
Greg tells me that he can just remember seeing the Luna Park amusements being dismantled.
Best wishes for 2021.
John