Topics

Salisbury Spur QLD

Petan

Something for enthusiasts of long closed industrial sidings; 1961 aerial images of Evans Deakin & Co. Ltd at Rocklea. These are not the usual aerial images from QLD Government’s free aerial images (DNRM) and maybe done by the company themselves.  Four lovely clear low level aerials and the fifth is a blueprint for a 40 tonne derrick crane that was used in the construction of the Story Bridge in Brisbane Queensland 1938. The four images are in different directions and show areas outside the Evans Deakin site so include EE and Comeng as well as the former Nyanda passenger platform. State Library QLD source  http://hdl.handle.net/10462/comp/1833

LRRSA members might check the aerials around Evans Deakin for one of the two Perry 0-4-0 tank engines which were swapped for the loco from Thiess Bros (Snowy Mountains project) in 1966. Comeng Rocklea built some sugar and other industrial locos so somewhere in these images is test track for that with a picture in one of the Comeng books of tests on that track as a location clue although I just checked and can’t find that particular picture tonight.

The companies listed in the Rocklea Industrial Estate in QR’s 1962 General Appendix were; Evans Deakin (both gauges), Bradford Insulation (1435mm gauge), The English Electric Company (both gauges) and Commonwealth Engineering (both gauges). Evans Deakin now EDI and still there. EE (Alstom Australia) site recently sold and cleared and Comeng Rocklea long gone. 1067mm gauge tracks no longer enter the industrial estate. The standard gauge estate siding is now called Pradella Siding used by Orrcon Manufacturing so regularly receives 1435mm  gauge wagon loads of steel products.

John’s (Hairyleg) Google Earth plug in file has the correct tracks as they were in 1961. Evans Deakin to the north of the rail entry on Beaudesert Rd, EE is on the corner of Beaudesert Rd and Evans Rd and Comeng is next to EE on Evans Rd.

Cheers

Peter Cokley

 _._,___

Petan

Items for those with an interest in long gone rail infrastructure; Labelled JPEG plan of Rocklea Munitions area 23 February 1945 from "Salisbury Heritage Trail; Residential and Industrial" A.J.Waller, Coopers Plains Local History Group, August 2001. The text labels are from the original book and I added my usual blue label to identify Evans Rd and the future Comeng site so you can locate the plan. It does not show the Evans Deakin area and **maybe** because that was Evans Deakin land and not Commonwealth government area. Evans Deakin would be lower left corner and the creek with two rail bridges in that spot would be Rocky Water Holes Creek. Total land area was noted as 100 acres (40.5 hectares) in another document and this scan includes much more than just the rail sidings area. I scanned at 600 DPI. File size is 5 MB. WW2 Rocklea Munitions area became the Rocklea Industrial Estate late 1940s and then had Evans Deakin (from 1926), English Electric and Comeng heavy engineering firms etc.

  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwa0ZhNWV5UmpTQTQ/view

Compare it with a QR 1961 version I have online (8MB file size). I have posted another version of this in the past and some may have it already.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwU1F1aFRtU2dwb2s/view

In the last few days I have put together a PDF (2MB) of the 1930s - WW2 changes around Clapham showing the area before the Ipswich Rd level crossing at Moorooka Station was replaced in 1929 by the present Rocklea Underpass and later overpass at the southern end of the Clapham Yard. Then I added 1936 and 1944 aerial images to show how Fairfield Rd was moved west for the WW2 extra tracks. Then I added the 1930 track plan and the c1964 track plan to show the changes. Of course the sources and high resolution versions available on request. The NSWGR 1930 track plan is in miles and links from Sydney not miles, chains and links. Clapham signal cabin is listed on other NSW timetables as 608 miles 13 chains from Sydney.

The PDF https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwZG4wdlhxRFZaOTA/view

I also noticed the 1930 Clapham track plan that is part of the above Clapham PDF shows a 11 yard (50 links) stock transhipping bank. I am tempted to say that is 'no bull' or a 'cow of a story' and shall I ‘milk’ that pun??!!

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Sam Laybutt

Thanks Peter - very interesting as always!

Cheers

Sam