Topics

remote boiler

Barry Sheffield

I came across this boiler when on a 4wd trip in 1971. We had come in from Matlock through Jericho & Red Jacket & my recollection is that it was near the junction of the Jordan & Thompson rivers. There was a hut nearby that was known as the junction hotel. It would all now be underwater due to the construction of the Thompson Dam.
Does anyone know the history of the boiler? I have often wondered about it
cheers, Barry

Peter Evans

The boilers are local copies of the Babcock & Wilcox WIF (wrought iron front) water tube boilers. Thompsons were not the first Victorian firm to copy these, Langlands Foundry made three units for the VR Newport Workshops in 1888.

Peter Evans
Historical Research and Heritage Services
0407 537 837

Barry Sheffield

thanks Peter, cheers