Topics

Raminea Tas

Petan

Sending attempt No.2 and my earlier email with this from yesterday may eventually appear.

Some may have seen the ‘Wake of the May Queen’ on ABC Television on Friday night. Those who did and also remembered what was in LR 253  February 2017 as well as 258 December 2017, would have had a pleasant evening! An honourable mention was accorded to the Raminea sawmill tramway, Port Esperance and the firm of Chesterman and Co, as well as a present day member of that Chesterman family. The Raminea Mill’s Caterpillar D7 frame from LR 253  February 2017, was also briefly on screen. The “May Queen’ was the ketch that transported the sawmill product to Hobart and was the subject of this documentary. 

Maybe try iVIEW or similar.

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Tony Coen

Yes, Peter, it was an excellent programme and narrated by the best of radio and television personalities, Chris. Wisbey. He is also a keen railway and shipping enthusiast and often broadcasts unsolicited plugs for new railway projects in Tasmania on ABC Radio. He additionally assisted in some of the work and movements of May Queen (as seen in the telecast). I have fond memories of the Raminea Mill in operation with its Tangye engine working away whilst half buried in sawdust. The milled timber was taken by trolley across the main road and onto the wharf for loading into May Queen. Trevor Tuttle was her last skipper, and I don’t recall his name being mentioned in the documentary, but he appeared in the films on many occasions.

Cheers,

Tony Coen.

Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2018 7:14 PM
Subject: [LRRSA] Raminea Tas

Sending attempt No.2 and my earlier email with this from yesterday may eventually appear.

Some may have seen the ‘Wake of the May Queen’ on ABC Television on Friday night. Those who did and also remembered what was in LR 253  February 2017 as well as 258 December 2017, would have had a pleasant evening! An honourable mention was accorded to the Raminea sawmill tramway, Port Esperance and the firm of Chesterman and Co, as well as a present day member of that Chesterman family. The Raminea Mill’s Caterpillar D7 frame from LR 253  February 2017, was also briefly on screen. The “May Queen’ was the ketch that transported the sawmill product to Hobart and was the subject of this documentary.

Maybe try iVIEW or similar.

Cheers

Peter Cokley