Topics

Question for cane bin modellers!

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Guys,
What colours are most appropriate for painting
cane bins? Have a few here to be done on the weekend
but not sure what to use.

Any help appreciated.
Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Light Railway Research Society Yahoogroup. LRRSA@Yahoogroups
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** Member of the S*M*U*T Railway Modellers Group!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Brad

I've just posted pictures of modern 4 tonne and 8 tonne varieties,
photographed in FNQ (South Johnstone?) in 2003. These are in Photo Album
Ron's Bits & Pieces'

Ron M.

From: BLI BLI
Date: 30/08/2006 9:50:27 PM
To: LocoShed; Queensland 1/48th; LRRSA Yahoogroup

Guys,
What colours are most appropriate for painting
cane bins? Have a few here to be done on the weekend
but not sure what to use.

Any help appreciated.
Brad

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Brad, looks like "weathered galvanisd steel" is your
best color
choice ;-)

Happy Modelling,
and Researching,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr>>>>>
Hi Professor/Ron/all,
So many good ideas.
Am going with a weathered red oxide on these one
which are really only for display as I am more
interested in larger scales for sugarcane railways.
Seems almost any colour short of pink or purple
would be appropriate. Unless someone knows of a
prototype for these :-)

Regards
Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Light Railway Research Society Yahoogroup. LRRSA@Yahoogroups
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** Member of the S*M*U*T Railway Modellers Group!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Hello Prof

Just to muddy the waters even more, I have added three more pictures :

1. An example of the old style cut cane car. This one is in the Sugar
Museum at Mourilyan. Well worth a visit if you haven't been. The only
problem is that they could do with more space - the little indirect drive
Fowler is slap bang next to the Hudswell Clarke - result, both are difficult
to photograph.

2. The last remains of the Queensland Government Railways Boogan Branch
to South Johnstone Mill. The Flat car sits forlornly on a short length of
track. Of interest, however, is that part of the load is a demountable bin.

3. Another example of the demountable bin, this time sitting on a 2'
gauge 8-wheel chassis, to make it suitable for use in the South Johnstone
Mill.

Ron M.

So 8 tonners are basically 2 X 4 tonners on a common frame, still on
single axles?

I hope the axle bearings were upgraded to take the extra weight.

Why not bogies under such "double length cars"?
(I know I'm partial to bogie vehicles, rather than 4 wheelers).

Brad, looks like "weathered galvanisd steel" is your best color
choice ;-)

Happy Modelling,
and Researching,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Hello Brad

It looks like you are in good company. See :

http://zelmeroz.Com/canesig/model/members.htm

Then bring up the window for the 1:48 Moreton Cane Bins.

Ron M.

Am going with a weathered red oxide on these one
which are really only for display as I am more
interested in larger scales for sugarcane railways.
Seems almost any colour short of pink or purple
would be appropriate. Unless someone knows of a
prototype for these :-)

Regards
Brad

David Rowe <sugarbush@...>

I've just posted pictures of modern 4 tonne and 8 tonne varieties
Hi Ron,

The large bin is 10 tonne, the same type as used by Proserpine, Tully and
Mulgrave.

Regards,
David.

David Rowe <sugarbush@...>

So 8 tonners are basically 2 X 4 tonners on a common frame, still on
single axles?
Hi Prof,

Victoria Mill is making their own 8 tonners by welding 2 four tonners
together, although I believe they keep the four ton wheels/bearings at each
end.

Regards,
David.

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Thanks David

That clears it up. Both the 4 tonne and the 10 tonne must have been at Tully
- they were the most friendly bunch of blokes at that Mill, and I was given
almost free rein within sensible boundaries. Got some excellent pics of the
cab controls of a Comeng for one Mike Bickord (not unknown to many of us!)

Ron M.