Topics

OFF TOPIC Photographs from Wales

Michael C.

Dear all,

Apologies once again for filling your inboxes, but I've been uploading more images to Flickr.

On the 6th May 2019 I visited the two foot gauge Vale of Rheidol Railway in mid-Wales. https://www.rheidolrailway.co.uk/

Hmmm, how can I put this... it's not the same as it used to be.

Here it is on HTV - Harlech Television in the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4a6jn-18X0
This was in the days when you had to hire a Bell Jetranger helicopter as there were no commercial drones!

Long-gone are the days of British Rail...

On the day I visited it was a bit over-cast - perhaps that has clouded my judgement, but to me it was all a bit clinical, perfect, and dare I say it, Disney-like.

For example, intermediate Great Western Railway halts have been recreated. This is all very well and good, but you can't get off, even when the train is paused to take on water.

However, they do have a superb £600K workshop at Aberystwyth where they do contract work. For example they are currently rebuilding a WW1 Baldwin tank locomotive for the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway in Porthmadog. Their appeal can be viewed here: https://www.whr.co.uk/appeals/baldwin-rebuild/

I've created a seperate album of Baldwin photographs here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/55958391@N07/albums/72157708437520185

Anyway, I digress here is a link to the VOR album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55958391@N07/albums/72157708437381375

Take a look if you are interested.

And if you are, here's an album from 2012 too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55958391@N07/albums/72157644855253584

Off to Wales again this weekend to see Russell return to Beddgelert on the Welsh Highland Railway - more to follow.

Cheers,

Michael Chapman