Topics

NSW Division Sydney meeting

BM

An interesting meeting of the LRRSA NSW Division at Burwood last night. Ian
McNeil made a presentation on the Logging Tramways of the Dorrigo Plateau -
essentially a revisit of his major article in LR 100 (gee that was in April
1988: how time flies). The Division's new AV projector was proudly put into
service, initially showing Ian's extensive collection of photographs from
the Briggs family and other sources, only a fraction of which appeared in
LR.

Others also took advantage of the new technology. Mark Langdon had brought
along photographs of Clarence station during the construction of the 'Ten
Tunnels' for the Great Zig Zag deviation, with lots of contractors tramways
and the commencement of the Wolgan Valley Railway. The junction of the
latter line was subsequently moved to Newnes when Henry Deane became
involved. Mark indicated that he is planning a LR article on the
construction of the Wolgan Valley Line and also wants to return to his
research on early Australian locomotive builders now that his Zig Zag book
has been published.

Bob Emson then used the projector to demonstrate his new software, Photo
Xplorer, for cataloguing digital images. It is most impressive and I have
signed up for a copy. I shall report on progress is due course.

It was announced that the NSW Division will be conducting an industrial
railway tour of the former Glenrock colliery railway on Sunday 5 November.
John Shoebridge will lead the tour, commencing from Civic station. I have
details for a notice in LR.

I advised the meeting of the death of Graeme Breydon - and also the PBR
Decauville Birthday event on 17 September - while Bill Laidlaw announced the
passing of Harry Wright, who was a regular contributor to LR over the years.
His funeral will be tomorrow in Newcastle.

Bob McKillop

Brad <alcogoodwin@...>

It was announced that the NSW Division will be conducting an
industrial
railway tour of the former Glenrock colliery railway on Sunday 5
November.
John Shoebridge will lead the tour, commencing from Civic station. I
have
details for a notice in LR.>>>>>
Hi Bob,
Have long wanted to go on one of the tours following this line.
I look forward to the notice in LR as I can think of a couple of
others who may also wish to join it.

Brad