Topics

New uses for Sydney's disused rail tunnels

John Cleverdon

Hello all,
A little OT but this may be of interest to some of you; from the Urban Developer email list during the week:
https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/secret-tunnels-provide-sydney-development-opportunity

John Cleverdon
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia
John's web page: https://johncleverdon.neocities.org/
LinkedIn: http://au.linkedin.com/pub/john-cleverdon/a/a81/2b

Eddie Oliver

On 6/10/2018 09:43, John Cleverdon wrote:
Hello all,
A little OT but this may be of interest to some of you; from the Urban Developer email list during the week:
https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/secret-tunnels-provide-sydney-development-opportunity

At least this article does not contain the gross myth in most Sydney newspaper reports which claim that the missing tracks were to go to the northern beaches

Kevin Sewell

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Eddie Oliver wrote:
At least this article does not contain the gross myth in most Sydney newspaper reports which claim that the missing tracks were to go to the northern beaches

Yeah - heard that one on the wireless talking box the other day, that the northern end of St James tunnels were the unbuilt link to the Northern Beaches. Nearly choked on my toast!!! It would have to be a rack railway as steep as Skitube to get from St James, down under the harbour and up to any of Nth Sydn, Cremorne Jn or Spit Jn!!!
Its distressing how little the general media know about anything to do with public transport, but even more distressing how little real research is done to establish facts before posting stories.

Mike Bickford

The tunnel to the north of St James Station is largely unfinished and half full of water so would need a lot of work to use now.
The tunnels to the south of St James are more finished and include bomb shelter works from WW2.
The Northern Beaches line was to use the other side of the Bridge and diverge at North Sydney.
Bradfield’s proposed scheme was quite extensive, however as usual for NSW only some of it was built.

Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah

On 6/10/2018 17:56, Mike Bickford wrote:
The tunnel to the north of St James Station is largely unfinished and half full of water so would need a lot of work to use now.

No, that only applies to the part beyond the uncleared rock wall. There is a full 8-car-plus length of double track tunnel immediately north of the station that was used for the two terminal roads.

Mike Bickford

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten about the terminal road part to the north. Open to the operational lines to and from Circular Quay too.
It has been at least 15 years since I did a tour there one evening.

Mike Bickford

On 6/10/2018 17:56, Mike Bickford wrote:
The tunnel to the north of St James Station is largely unfinished and half full of water so would need a lot of work to use now.

No, that only applies to the part beyond the uncleared rock wall. There is a full 8-car-plus length of double track tunnel immediately north of the station that was used for the two terminal roads.

Terry

The postings about St. James made me reach for the ARHSnsw Track & Signal disk. As near as I can work out it was about 1500 feet from the end of the present platforms to the dead ends of the terminal storage roads mentioned by Eddie. In addition, there is still the wide vacant area between the two existing platforms that until a few years ago was two platforms without tracks, and then was filled in. To the south there is quite a length of unfinished tunnel that was an air raid shelter during WWII
Access into what is a "ticketed" area could be a problem for the bars.
Terry Boardman