Topics

Moving to Groups.io

Philip G Graham

Dear Moderator

Please move to Groups.io. It is now imperative to do so. Yahoo has invoked this business of OATH just recently, and I note that Flickr has gone to SmugMug. So Yahoo userbility is being whittled away piece by piece and compartmentalized.

Of the other groups that have moved to Groups.io, one with a very big back archive of messages going back many years is the Industrial Railway Society, and their moderator had very little trouble with the move. Furthermore the archive remains searchable right back to the beginning.

There is little incentive to remain with Yahoo.

Philip G Graham - Tasmania (-PGG-)

Kevin Sewell

I do not have a strong opinion about staying with Yahoo or moving to io.groups (largely because any opinion I express will not be based on any level of informed or educated expertise), except to say that one Group I belong to did move from Yahoo to io.groups, had relatively little problem in doing so, had all the archive brought across, but still kept the old Yahoo Group alive in case it was necessary for some unforeseen reason. As far as I as a 'umble user not mod am aware, that unforeseen reason has never arisen. As a Group we have all participated in bedding it down about two years ago, had some ups and downs in the process, learned a LOT, and also been active participants in the overall io.groups beta mob. And it's not a Group of young techie hipsters used to flitting around different media - the youngest is probably late 50s.

I cannot think of a single instance where io.groups has fallen over in that two years, and although I am not a mod of that particular Group, AIUI, questions to the io.groups owner/designer/writer or whatever he is, have been responded to generally in minutes or at worst hours, not days or weeks.

Not casting nasturtiums at Yahoo, and couldn't care one way or 't'other what mechanism this Group uses (I am NOT on commission!!!) but I have certainly been impressed with io.groups.

--
Don't just answer the question, question the answer.

Frank Stamford

Hello Kevin,

What is AIUI ?

On 2/05/2018 3:41 PM, Kevin Sewell kevinrsewell@... [LRRSA] wrote:

[...]

John Dennis

AIUI = As I Understand It.

John

On 2 May 2018 at 16:26, Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

[...]

It's the extremely lazy (that's me!!!) way of saying As I Understand It.

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 4:29 PM, Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

[...]

Roderick Smith

Three of my major groups have moved to io, with great success.  It allows the transfer of all existing yahoo material, so archives are preserved.  Two were done by experienced people.  The third was done by a novice, with success in just 24 h.

One has gone to google groups: more cumbersome, but still works.

Yahoo has been in self-destruct mode since Nov.17.

Photos are erratic, mainly missing.
Text is being delayed.

Groups relying on photos just have to defect.

Roderick

John Dennis

Having heard all the good stories about the migration, we shall investigate what is needed. First we will need to find the moderator...

John Dennis
LRRSA Sales Officer.

On 2 May 2018 at 19:49, rodsmith@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Three of my major groups have moved to io, with great success.  It allows the transfer of all existing yahoo material, so archives are preserved.  Two were done by experienced people.  The third was done by a novice, with success in just 24 h.

One has gone to google groups: more cumbersome, but still works.

Yahoo has been in self-destruct mode since Nov.17.

Photos are erratic, mainly missing.
Text is being delayed.

Groups relying on photos just have to defect.

Roderick

David Halfpenny

On 2 May 2018, at 10:49, rodsmith@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Three of my major groups have moved to io, with great success.  It allows the transfer of all existing yahoo material, so archives are preserved . . .

EXCEPT for Attachments.

Having said that, Yahoo had a long period of not storing attachments.

David 1/2d

Frank Stamford

On 2 May 2018, at 8:23 pm, John Dennis jdennis412@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Having heard all the good stories about the migration, we shall investigate what is needed. First we will need to find the moderator...

John Dennis
LRRSA Sales Officer.

Hello John,

I am a moderator but I am not sure if I have the authority in Yahoo Groups to initiate the transfer process. It might need to be the person who started the Yahoo group. We can discuss this at the meeting tomorrow night.

I did some research on the transfer process about six months ago. It is fairly straightforward - providing the instructions are followed stage by stage.

On 2 May 2018 at 19:49, rodsmith@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Three of my major groups have moved to io, with great success.  It allows the transfer of all existing yahoo material, so archives are preserved.  Two were done by experienced people.  The third was done by a novice, with success in just 24 h.

One has gone to google groups: more cumbersome, but still works.

Yahoo has been in self-destruct mode since Nov.17.

Photos are erratic, mainly missing.
Text is being delayed.

Groups relying on photos just have to defect.

Roderick

Hunslet

But then everyone individually has to rejoin?

Hunslet

[...]

Rod Hutchinson

I moved across with two large groups.  No rejoining is necessary.  For the average memeber the transfer is seamless.

Rod Hutchinson
Mooroolbark
Australia

On Wed, 2 May 2018, 22:51 'Hunslet' hunslet@... [LRRSA], <LRRSA@...> wrote:

[...]

The only (infinitesimally minor) thing that would be lost in a mass migration is length of membership. In older Groups some will have been members for weeks and others for years. In the new Group, where everybody migrates at about the same time, nobody has "long service". I can't think of any situation where that's a serious issue, but maybe ...

On Thu, 3 May 2018 at 6:25 AM, Rod Hutchinson rodhutchy@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

[...]

And there will be a sharp spike in messages over a few weeks as everybody reports, "I'm on" "got here" "ooh ... look at this" "how does this work" "where do I find ..." "Hi Gertrude ... I see you made it"
There'll also be a week or two of "oh, I don't like it" "yahoo was better" "I prefer the old Group" but I'd predict they'll be gone (either the complaints or the complainers!!) in less than a month. And then the Group will return to the largely quiet, connection of people with a common interest, occasionally chatting ... like it's always been, just on a different platform.

On Thu, 3 May 2018 at 6:52 AM, Kevin Sewell <kevinrsewell@...> wrote:
[...]

denis.wasley

If moving to a new group makes it easier to use, then I am all for it. Could not really get on with the old one.

Cheers

Denis Wasley

Berri SA

On 2 May 2018, at 22:01, Kevin Sewell kevinrsewell@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

There'll also be a week or two of "oh, I don't like it" "yahoo was better" "I prefer the old Group"

I’ve never seen that on a Transfer, Kevin, perhaps because Groups.io looks and feels like ‘right’ as it it were what Yahoo Groups was meant to be.
Not surprising, as originator Mark Fletcher originated what became Yahoo Groups in the first place.

David 1/2d

Frank Stamford

On 3/05/2018 8:30 AM, 'David Halfpenny (Yahoo 2)' david.halfpenny@... [LRRSA] wrote:

On 2 May 2018, at 22:01, Kevin Sewell kevinrsewell@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

There'll also be a week or two of "oh, I don't like it" "yahoo was better" "I prefer the old Group"

I’ve never seen that on a Transfer, Kevin, perhaps because Groups.io looks and feels like ‘right’ as it it were what Yahoo Groups was meant to be.
Not surprising, as originator Mark Fletcher originated what became Yahoo Groups in the first place.

David 1/2d

No I have not seen it either. I am a member of two groups which switched over, without any problems for the members.

Frank

Philip G Graham

  > But then everyone individually has to rejoin?

No, you will still be able to to log in to Groups.io using the existing e-Mail address and password that was used for Yahoo Groups. The only note of caution is if you used a different e-Mail address for the Digest to that of your yahoo e-Mail address. Once you have logged in again, it is possible to re-set anew all or any passwords for a fresh start if desired.

Suggest the LRRSA Moderator contact the IRS Moderator, Ken Scanes for re-assurance.

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM, Philip Graham <philip.graham567@...> wrote:
Dear Moderator

Please move to Groups.io. It is now imperative to do so. Yahoo has invoked this business of OATH just recently, and I note that Flickr has gone to SmugMug. So Yahoo userbility is being whittled away piece by piece and compartmentalized.

Of the other groups that have moved to Groups.io, one with a very big back archive of messages going back many years is the Industrial Railway Society, and their moderator had very little trouble with the move. Furthermore the archive remains searchable right back to the beginning.

There is little incentive to remain with Yahoo.

Philip G Graham - Tasmania (-PGG-)

Frank Stamford

Hello Philip,

On 3/05/2018 9:05 AM, Philip Graham philip.graham567@... [LRRSA] wrote:

  > But then everyone individually has to rejoin?

No, you will still be able to to log in to Groups.io using the existing e-Mail address and password that was used for Yahoo Groups. The only note of caution is if you used a different e-Mail address for the Digest to that of your yahoo e-Mail address. Once you have logged in again, it is possible to re-set anew all or any passwords for a fresh start if desired.

Suggest the LRRSA Moderator contact the IRS Moderator, Ken Scanes for re-assurance.
Thanks for the suggestion Philip, but I do not need reassurance. I am a member of the IRS Group and have been closely watching their transfer as it happened. And the same with another Group.

Philip G Graham - Tasmania (-PGG-)

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM, Philip Graham <philip.graham567@...> wrote:
Dear Moderator

Please move to Groups.io. It is now imperative to do so. Yahoo has invoked this business of OATH just recently, and I note that Flickr has gone to SmugMug. So Yahoo userbility is being whittled away piece by piece and compartmentalized.

Of the other groups that have moved to Groups.io, one with a very big back archive of messages going back many years is the Industrial Railway Society, and their moderator had very little trouble with the move. Furthermore the archive remains searchable right back to the beginning.

There is little incentive to remain with Yahoo.

Philip G Graham - Tasmania (-PGG-)

B.Rumary

On 02/05/2018 21:23, Rod Hutchinson rodhutchy@... [LRRSA] wrote:
I moved across with two large groups.  No rejoining is necessary.  For the average memeber the transfer is seamless.

I am also on other groups that have made the switch and as far as I can remember all the ordinary members saw was a single message saying that they were now a member of the "new" group, with an option to quit if you disagreed with this change.

--
Brian Rumary
England