Topics

Melaleuca Station, Chinderah NSW

Petan

Chasing the eventual fate of the two Melbourne suburban carriages ex Melaleuca Station, Chinderah, Tweed River NSW. My interest is more on the 610mm gauge Melaleuca Station tourist tramway but I want to tie up the fate of the 1600 mm carriages, for completeness for my LR articles, as it is within my Tweed tramway research area.

Railpage reported in 2007 Yarra Valley Railway took possession of Tait 1364M in March 2007 following the closure of Melaleuca Station, a short lived steam hauled tourist tramway. These days it is the Melaleuca Station Memorial Gardens and Crematorium https://melaleucastation.com.au/

Melaleuca Station had two similar Melbourne suburban electric carriages, so does anyone know where the second ex Melbourne suburban carriage ended up after the sale of Melaleuca Station? These Melbourne 1600mm gauge carriages were used as café type stationary vehicles. The actual train was 610mm gauge using ex Marian Sugar Mill 0-6-2T Perry Serial No.298 Works Job No.2601.51.1 hauling two bogie carriages. Regular reports appear in LR regarding the Perry’s restoration at Bennett Brook Railway, Whiteman Park Western Australia.

Not sure where the 610mm gauge bogie carriages ended up, so grateful for any help there.

I have tracked the Perry’s history via Light Railway News of No.100 June 1994, quoting David Mewes May/94 and Tony Germanotta May/94, which notes Tony Germanotta has disposed of Perry 0-6-2T 2601.1.51 of 1951 and two bogie carriages to Melaleuca Station, with delivery in January 1994. http://lrrsa.org.au/Lrn100.htm

Also http://www.mackayhistory.org/research/sugar_cane_trains/063_steam_1951_Perry.html

I have the site history via https://www.questia.com/newspaper/1G1-277565938/from-tourist-attraction-to-a-crematorium

The site is just south of where the 2002 opened Pacific Motorway M1 leaves the Tweed Valley Way, the old Pacific Highway. There is a motorway service centre (fuel /food etc) on the northbound side of the motorway just to the north of the Melaleuca Station crematorium. The track layout is visible on Google Earth’s 2003 historical imagery, with large loops north and south of the main building, linked by lines to the east of the main building. It measures as 1.2 km using Google Earth’s distance measuring tool.

Thanks

Peter Cokley

(Gold Coast)

www.petan.net